1989 Concorde Astore “Team America” Finished pg5

Re: Our Jimmy’s lock down build - Concorde Astore 89?

Bit of a lazy day today.. not much done. BB axle, sleeve and cups sorted then I had a dig for some other Campag bits I have stashed in my secret reserve…(put away for a specific build) so these will be on loan for the next few years. ;)
A tidy mid 80’s Gran Sport headset gave me an excuse to use my Parktool Crown race puller and setting tools :cool:

Attachments

• 1040A Gran Sport.jpg
    1040A Gran Sport.jpg
    640.5 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_5198.jpg
    IMG_5198.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 350

Having used basic tools most my life for most bike jobs i have found myself over recent years buying tools i never before needed, and being pleasantly suprised at how more effortless they made the job. So, im curious, how does the race puller work, and does it work well with stubborn races?

mk one":p3mtt8m4 said:
Having used basic tools most my life for most bike jobs i have found myself over recent years buying tools i never before needed, and being pleasantly suprised at how more effortless they made the job. So, im curious, how does the race puller work, and does it work well with stubborn races?

At the bottom it has two “jaws” that clamp under the crown then the threaded bar in the pipe pushes against the top of the steerer tube whilst the main body of the tool pulls the jaws up.. it works so well.
But... it super expensive, I only have one because a local one man bike shop decided to retire and sold some of his tools at really low prices.

Attachments

• 176EAB23-75D1-4169-B40D-FB6DFC3E3BF4.jpeg
    176EAB23-75D1-4169-B40D-FB6DFC3E3BF4.jpeg
    64.9 KB · Views: 335

:shock: just had a look at the price of one, dont think that will be happening anytime soon :LOL:

Although I said I wasn’t going to go all “Peachyfied” on this build, more of a clean-up and bolt-on, there is one area I can’t ignore, and that is the head tube… not sure what happened here, but it looks like someone took a pot shot with a twelve bore!
Perhaps aiming for THM but caught NeilM square in the face whilst they raced on that hill climb?

Anyway, it spent the night with an Evaporust poultice to convert the surface rust...

Then this afternoon the sun was shining and I had a beer so I thought, ‘I can’t make it any worse can I?’
So a fine layer of filler, a blast of white primer, a whiff of blue and a coat of clear….

You be the judge....

Attachments

• IMG_5204.jpg
    IMG_5204.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 309
  • IMG_5203.jpg
    IMG_5203.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 309
  • IMG_5206.jpg
    IMG_5206.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 309
  • IMG_5207.jpg
    IMG_5207.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 310
Re:

You spoil that boy, you really do....

And they don't appreciate it you know, ooohhh no, they just glance at the results of hours of dedicated work you have put in and grunt... 'sokay'.

Re: Re:

NeilM":daz8rvj2 said:
You spoil that boy, you really do....

And they don't appreciate it you know, ooohhh no, they just glance at the results of hours of dedicated work you have put in and grunt... 'sokay'.

LOL :D …You are not wrong….. anyway, what’s the story with the damage?

Peachy!":36me04zx said:
what’s the story with the damage?

No idea, it was like that when I got it, I think possibly storage damage.

I just waxed over it to prevent it rusting badly.

NeilM":51yqp0a0 said:
Peachy!":51yqp0a0 said:
what’s the story with the damage?

No idea, it was like that when I got it, I think possibly storage damage.

I just waxed over it to prevent it rusting badly.

Awww… you could have made up some daring-do story! :roll:

Anyway, this is as far as we can go whilst we wait for some parts.

Italian threaded Freewheel :facepalm: (and yes, I know this needs cleaning)

Brifters for this lovely Cinelli combo and some tyres.

(saddle clamps are being worked on) ;)

Attachments

• IMG_5212.jpg
    IMG_5212.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 299
  • IMG_5213.jpg
    IMG_5213.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 299
  • IMG_5210.jpg
    IMG_5210.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 299
Back