1988 Muddy Fox Courier 'B52'

Re: Re:

MatBH5":242orcd9 said:
I like the look of that, great colour. Glad the wheels went to a good use; the stickers match the colour scheme there.
The stickers are definitely a good match, although I'm not sure about my choice in tyres. Hopefully they just need a good clean!

I've been out of cycling for 8 months now, due to liver problems (anyone got a liver they don't need?), but I think I've recovered enough to start cycling again. Maybe not commuting, but certainly the odd, slow jaunt into the countryside. It's been awful seeing everyone else having fun on bikes. I've even been getting jealous of lycra-clad racing spuds..

And so, I look toward my unfinished project: The Courier!

The last time I rode it, I wrecked the handlebar while trying to fit a new stem on my lunchbreak, and was too embarrassed to ride it. The search for a new handlebar got me a black Ritchey Forcelite, which went onto my Kili Racer, and the silver Forcelite from the Kili is now on the courier. As the steering is all silver, I decided to also switch the seat post, which I mysteriously had spare (I think it came from a Muddy Fox Monarch).

I took a quick photo after vaguely fitting the new bits:

I think that still looks good. :)

The next day, I remembered to get some pure acetone (the wifey's makeup remover didn't work) to try and remove the dodgy attempts at touching up the paint. The pure stuff worked really well, removing the various shades of red, and exposing lots of nicks of bare metal. I got rid of the underlying rust using a fibreglass pen, then coated the silvery metal with clear metal enamel to (hopefully) seal it.

I admit I was starting to consider getting it re-coated at that point. How good would it look without all the scratches and nicks, and with nice complete decals?? Too good, that's what! I must learn to embrace the patina, rather than having another bike that I'm afraid of getting scratched. :)

Last night, I refitted the front mech, and tonight I plan to cable it all up and deal with the remaining rust patches. Tomorrow, I might actually ride it! :shock:

Re:

Curses! A visit to hospital delayed my plans, so I haven't managed to ride it yet. It's pretty much finished, tho - I just need to snip the cables, adjust the positions of everything, and give the tyres a more thorough clean. Even getting a bit of the road grime off has improved them a lot:

I used a brillo pad. Guess which wheel I started on? :p

Yay! Pretty much finished! :D

Still needs a few tweaks, but only very minor things, like matching brake cable hangers, and covers for the crank bolts. Other than that; doned!

The final upgrades were a silver Kalin seatpost, a Sakae SR stem of some kind, a Ritchey ForceLite bar that's been swapped from a Kili Racer to my old Tufftrax to my Kili Racer, YETI speed grips, red Kool Stop Eagle II brake pads, and.. err.. that's it!

I kinda wanted yellow Eagle IIs, but it seems they're only available from the US, and I didn't think it was worth the extra expense.

The bike has a fair bit of patina going on. Washing the bike added a few more bits, as rust cracked and paint fell off. I'm wondering how long it'll be before it needs a new coat of paint, especially as it's now going to be in proper use - I cycled 10 miles from work to home on it today. Not too bad for someone who hasn't been on a bike for nearly a year and lost a lot of muscle. :D

I'm really liking how the bike's turned out. I especially like that it's a pretty rare bike, but you wouldn't know it to look at it. :)

Fanx!

I'm having a bit of a problem with the tyres, tho. It seems that 2.1" is just a smidgeon too wide. It either rubs on the left-hand chainstay, or against the right-hand U brake arm. I can't adjust it to avoid both. :?

Adjusting the U brake doesn't change anything - it just varies the amount it digs in.

I have a spare pair of 1.8" Charge Splashbacks, so I'll give them a go for now. They won't look as :cool:, but at least I won't have to listen to the burr burr burr of a rubbing tyre!

Back