1987 Raleigh Record Sprint

if you are cutting the spokes out do you think you will be able to polish up the eyelets? i guess theses are brass?

andy

The eyelets are alloy

Any attempt to polish will probably take even more of the anodising off the rim!

Just purchased some 'new' old wheels for this, which are virtually as new (hardly a trace of brake rub) so hoping to have it back on the road very soon.

Just need to source a removal tool for the shimano screw on freewheel to get it off the newer wheels, and then one to get the suntour one off the old ones...

(oh, and get the wire wool on those dreaded 'rustless' Raleigh spokes!)

Were the 87s on concaves? It'd be a shame if the last of the proverbial V8s got all the anodizing worn off... Not that I can talk, I've been needing powdercoat and decals for oh, 13 months now...

Re: Re:

MrW":2w539p0x said:
big_dave":2w539p0x said:
I had a 1987 Record sprint, I bought it brand new, it cost me £225 if I remember right, I passed it down to my brother, the chainstay snapped in 1992 and the frame was replaced by raleigh.

This one cost me circa £40 from eBay in 2008. The only money I have spent on it was for new decals which were £27. When it's finished (soon hopefully) it will 'owe' me less than £100 (obviously not accounting for the amount of time I have spent on it!)

The highlighted comment is why I love retrobiking. Sweet looking ride for less than 50 quid and completed for a ton.

Love the bike. The gold and black looks awesome

Bats":1cs0i3cp said:
Were the 87s on concaves? It'd be a shame if the last of the proverbial V8s got all the anodizing worn off... Not that I can talk, I've been needing powdercoat and decals for oh, 13 months now...

The concave's were 1983/84 only I believe, possibly into 1985, but they disappeared after that!

I won't be riding on these ones, I've got more wheels than I know what to do with, including the original ones from the bike, so 'the last of the V8's' are safe!

Re: Re:

benseddon":2gz131cf said:
MrW":2gz131cf said:
big_dave":2gz131cf said:
I had a 1987 Record sprint, I bought it brand new, it cost me £225 if I remember right, I passed it down to my brother, the chainstay snapped in 1992 and the frame was replaced by raleigh.

This one cost me circa £40 from eBay in 2008. The only money I have spent on it was for new decals which were £27. When it's finished (soon hopefully) it will 'owe' me less than £100 (obviously not accounting for the amount of time I have spent on it!)

The highlighted comment is why I love retrobiking. Sweet looking ride for less than 50 quid and completed for a ton.

Love the bike. The gold and black looks awesome

Many thanks! :D

Bike £40, decals £27, new wheels £35, other than that plenty of spit and polish and even with new inner cables all round (which it clearly needs) it will be a touch over the £100

Re: RRS decals

Hi Not sure if you are still following this forum.

I have recently purchased a 1983 RRS and was interested to find out if you still have a copy of the original decals you would be willing to scan for me so I can get some replicas made.

eejay_old_velo

Back