1987 Brodie ROMAX.... Update!!!... well... Minor Update

Re: Re:

jimi911":1202b88f said:
Definitely worth the drive! Hope I get to see that in person. We need to do a Brodie ride I the GTA area.

Sure! Crazy detail in the fillet brazing

Re: 1987 Brodie ROMAX.... Welcome to club Romax... ooooh yeeaaaa

So, here's the before pics... exactly how I recieved it from another member on the site 'davidlewis' (thanks again for selling it to me :D )

First off I will be taking it right down to the bare frame and getting the issue with the seat post sorted out... does anyone know what seatpost size this should take? 27.2 fits perfectly up to the junction but gets super tight and will not go lower than that. 27.0 is a hair loose but seems to go below the junction easier.

My avalanche is basically the tig-welded version of this frame... it came with a 26.8... 26.8 is a hair loose up to the junction but will go past it... 27.0 fits like a glove above the junction but is very very snug below the junction...

any input on this would be great =)

Re:

Glad you've managed to get your hands on one :) An early Romax with the brazed forks remains top of my hit list. I'm sure it'll be a cracker :cool:

Re:

Thx!

Apparently at that time there were light that most people used in BC. The lights would mount onto the bottom of the stem. Rather than having to strap them on Paul put a direct mount onto the stems he made.

Hi guys,

Eric, great to meet you, glad to hear you arrived home safe and sound after the epic journey. Also happy that my (well, yours now) Romax is in good hands.

Re the threaded insert on the stem. That was for a light bracket mount. Back in the day, BLT was pretty much the only (at least local to Vancouver) light maker. They did a water bottle battery and lights that were the size of small car headlights. We used to take old, I think, reflector brackets and they'd bolt to the stem, and then you'd attach a light to the other end.

Oh, re the seatpost ... you know, I don't recall. However, that was the time of height-rite droppers. Maybe it was 27 to allow freer up and down? I did have a hight-rite on it when I built it. Just a thought

Any other questions. Fire away.

Cheers,

David

ps - I have a wee bit of sellers remorse, but it is strongly tempered in the fact that the new owner loves that era of bikes and will bring it back to it's old glory.

davidlewis":26orgp0x said:
Hi guys,

Eric, great to meet you, glad to hear you arrived home safe and sound after the epic journey. Also happy that my (well, yours now) Romax is in good hands.

Re the threaded insert on the stem. That was for a light bracket mount. Back in the day, BLT was pretty much the only (at least local to Vancouver) light maker. They did a water bottle battery and lights that were the size of small car headlights. We used to take old, I think, reflector brackets and they'd bolt to the stem, and then you'd attach a light to the other end.

Oh, re the seatpost ... you know, I don't recall. However, that was the time of height-rite droppers. Maybe it was 27 to allow freer up and down? I did have a hight-rite on it when I built it. Just a thought

Any other questions. Fire away.

Cheers,

David

ps - I have a wee bit of sellers remorse, but it is strongly tempered in the fact that the new owner loves that era of bikes and will bring it back to it's old glory.

:D :D :D

Back