1985 Mountain Goat Trials - Old California Steel :)

Re:

Very nice! The geometry seems quite similar to my Ibis SS, which is a great ride, with that sloping toptube.

Re:

Yet another catchup/recap of a build thanks to photo bucket.

I picked up this frame off a gentleman that didn’t really know what it was. I recognized some of the design features and stamping and guessed it was a goat. I was right.

With a bit of help of the late Jeff Archer we determined it was a 1985 Mountain Goat Trials. Pretty rare according to Jeff … he figures there were about 4 built. Two are at MOMBAT (’85 and ’86) and one is in a private collection (‘86). Jeff helped me out with an emblem and sold me another Lindsay built Road frame. Sad that he is not with us any more … such a nice guy and great resource.

The Trials goat was a cross between a XC bike and a trials bike. 26” tires with a higher BB – billed as the bike to ride over anything. A free ride bike ... in 1985.

I started messing around with some setup ideas thinking I wouldn’t find a set of the bars.

And I did!

I found a super cool 1985 burgundy Selle Turbo saddle and decided to make that colour direction. The actual colour was “Harley Burgundy” if I recall correctly. It has a bit of metallic to it. Add a NOS Spesh headset and things were coming together.

I picked up a set of 1st Gen Bullseyes for a song … rough … so I restored them to like new.

Suntour Bear Traps to Death Traps … if you have owned a pair you know why they are called this!

The whole bike is a bit wild and eclectic so I just sort of ended up embracing it. I have had a tri-pulley XC Suntour group for a while and decided this was the perfect place for it to go. Really smooth system.

Emblem in place and NOS Deerhead Cantilevers :)

And the finished product …

Frame: 1985 Mountain Goat Trials

Fork: Biplane

Headset: NOS Specialized
Stem/Handlebar: Mountain Goat
Grips: Oakley 3

Brakes: Suntour Rollercam rear/Deerhead front
Brake Pads: Shimano Deerhead
Brake Cables: Shimano
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano
Brake Levers: Shimano Deerhead

Shifters: Suntour XC
Front Derailleur: Suntour XC
Rear Derailleur: Suntour XC 3 Pulley
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: Suntour
Chain: Shimano
Cranks: 1st Gen Bullseyes
Chainrings: Sugino
Chainring bolts: Sugino
Bottom Bracket: Bullseye
Pedals: Suntour Bear Draps with Crupi “Death” traps

Rims: Araya X7s
Hubs: Suntour XC
Nipples: Brass
Spokes: ??
Tyres: Original Panaracers
Tubes: MEC

Saddle: Selle Turbo (1985 Stamped)
Seatpost: SR
Seatpost Binder: NOS Specialized

Beautiful bike! Just wondering if that bashgurad is going to damage the paint if you ever hit something with it?

Back