1984 Motobecane Mt Becane

It is most definitely a mountain bike/ all terrain bike

The tyres are later though but very good off road

inexternal means its welded/ braised internally

As Mark said, Peugeot/Motobecane/MBK used a process with preformed internal brazing, which meant most of the braze was on the inside and led to much cleaner looking (and they claim stronger) joints. I remember seeing a really good article/flyer, describing the process, but I can't find it now - it may have been on paper, rather than digital .... I think that's how things used to be read, a very long time ago. Anyway, these give a little illustration:

motobecanefiletbrazing_2ba3a8bb85ec565408597cd41065abf8d71e0327.jpg

Peugeot%201982%20UK%20Brochure%20Pg10.jpg

I really apreciate the look and it's one of the reasons I've owned a couple of 531 Peugeot frames.

That's pretty cool, great angles, you should have mega ground clearance with that bottom bracket height. Reminds me of a Peugeot Canyon Express I had.

In case its of interest...just read this thread (with google translate) on a French forum with lots of pics of these bikes, one chap does a nice resto...the seat/seatpost on mine are not original, but i don't care....it should be an SR fluted laprade (i probably have one in a parts box somewhere, although doubtless in the wrong size) & a plain black anatomique saddle rather than the funky yellw racer one it has......interesting there were apparently slightly different specs for USA models & even within Europe varied a bit.

https://forum.tontonvelo.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5565

I have a fluted SR laprade seatpost in 26.4, if that's any good you can have it for the price of postage. It needs a bit of a clean and polish but is otherwise very good.

Attachments

• PC160204.JPG
    PC160204.JPG
    237 KB · Views: 6
  • PC160206.JPG
    PC160206.JPG
    268 KB · Views: 6
  • PC160208.JPG
    PC160208.JPG
    276 KB · Views: 6
@Tsundere thats very kind...! I'll message you!

@velofrog it is a bit distracting and its from a racer....oddly i didn;t really mind it until I knew it wasn't original!

So much for it being fine as-is and leaving it alone!

Last edited:
I have to lose the pedals too at some point....they should be SR MTP-110 not the plastic tat thats currently on there.

But baby steps, will grab as and when something suitable pops up or may have something knocking around.

Latest posts

Back