1984 Motobecane Mt Becane

Synthiaks

Senior Retro Guru
Ok, not one to blow anyone away, but ended up with this after looking for a wheelset.....@Tsundere is to blame for me buying it as I just wanted the wheels, but glad I did.

I picked it up last night form a friend in London who randomly happened to passing near the seller (who was in the Lake District) last weekend on his way back from Scotland, which made the whole thing even more serendipitous & easy.

Its not something I was looking for or even aware of, not even sure I'd call it a mountain bike, but its in very nice condition generally, parts are varying quality but seem all original (not sure about pedals..)... having ridden a couple of miles this am around the site, its lovely.....feels quite different to anything else I have and with the seat lowered fits fine.

Not sure what 'INEXTERNAL' CroMo tubing means......sounds funky!

Anyhow, some rainy 'glamour' shots below in case anyone is interested to see. It came with the manual, but its a generic Motobecane ne of the era, not specfifc to this model...still nice to have though.

IMG_20211215_092236.jpg IMG_20211215_092248.jpg IMG_20211215_092252.jpg IMG_20211215_092307.jpg IMG_20211215_092318.jpg IMG_20211215_092328.jpg IMG_20211215_092336.jpg IMG_20211215_092431.jpg IMG_20211215_092437.jpg

Ah yes I saw this advertised and was very tempted.

And of course it's not a mountain bike, it is a VTT in the finest french tradition.

Velo Tout Terrain.

@was8v its those handlebars.....I think with something more normal it would be less scary, I took it slightly offroad and the riding postion on steep inclines is so high at the front its bonkers, with flat bars or shallow risers it'd at least be more handleable as the gearing has decent climbing ability, but no intention of changing anything as already have bikes that are actually designed/intended for that purpose..:)

Having said I wouldn't change anything, I did just remove (..but saved...) the reflectors....to my eye they just uglify it too much

@velofrog i love a biplane fork...one of the other reasons I went for it & the TA chainset.

It is most definitely a mountain bike/ all terrain bike

The tyres are later though but very good off road

inexternal means its welded/ braised internally

It is most definitely a mountain bike/ all terrain bike

The tyres are later though but very good off road

inexternal means its welded/ braised internally

The NOS Wolber tyres on it were sourced by the seller in Portugal apparently......long way to go for some tyres, but pleased he did.

I did wonder if inexternal was the method of welding, but never heard the term before....so thanks for confirming!

Great pics, I love it, it looks better than in the sellers pics, I feel no guilt at all.

It's lovely on many levels, as an unusual example of an 80's atb that's definitely a step on the road towards what we recognise today as an mtb, it's in fantastic condition and has bags of personality, it looks like a fun bike to ride too and probably not uncomfortable. The fact that it came so cheap is a nice bonus as well, no matter what you decide to do with it you really can't lose. Great buy 👍

Yep, no regrets here.....especially as the planets aligned and my friend was able to collect it.

Definitley better than it looked in the pics, the seller even said it was nicer in the flesh when I spoke to him aranging the pickup.

And its mega comfy, at least on relatively flat surfaces!

Best part is its usable as it is as ai have no time for 'projects' at the moment....clearly front cantis need adjusting as does the rear mech, but otherwise its fine.

Latest posts

Back