1983 Raleigh Rapide W.I.P. - links for newbies added

Thanks to all for the headset advice, i think that 'binnelling' is the problem and for peace of mind and hopefully little cost the LBS can have a look at it for me.

Every day i am surprised by the amount of knowledge available here, my Zinn maintenance book is really good but i like some advice from people who have had hands-on knowledge of a problem,

thanks everyone

If all fails in fitting the head-set level may I offer some advice and buy one of these.....
smiley-violent001.gif

download.jpg

Thanks Ian,

My favorite tool! I have a selection to cover every contingency! And, they are not expensive and last a long time - hard to beat!

Ally,

The Raleigh looks great, but you have done an incredible job with the polishing on the Kona. You obviously had a knack for this. I hope i can get my stuff to within 50% of that and, at that, i would be happy. I do not have your skills to shorten the head tube! See above posts re. hammer - that is my level!

torqueless Posted: :

If you've owned the bike from new and the headset has never been removed, then I would think any issue with the head-tube faces/bottom cup/top race seatings would have to be laid at the door of Raleigh quality control dept.

Torqueless, i am not sure if i mentioned in this thread but, the warranty ran out 14 years ago and i would expect to get a short response from Raleigh if i complained and that would be well justified.

The bike has done in excess of 10,000 miles without any maintenace to either the headset or BB - my fault obviously and i think that it has stood up to this treatment well and, if anything, Raleigh should be congratulated.

Thanks for your input, i do appreciate it; having given this more thought, i would really like to phone Raleigh and complain about the headset now!!!LOL

Richard

TGR you may be missing my point...

My intention is neither to traduce Raleigh quality control nor to encourage you to pester them... :)

All I'm saying is that, AFAIK, if the headset has never been off the bike, the chances of the headtube faces being in any other condition than that in which they left the factory are small, regardless of how many miles you may have traversed in the meantime. To me, expecting otherwise is either entering Uri Geller territory (remember him?), or implies the past use of that implement in Ian Raleigh's post...

I could easily be wrong though.. and like I said, no harm in putting your mind at rest by getting it checked out.

Torqueless,

I was jesting, i do appreciate your point and thanks for your input - i do understand but sometimes it is difficult to type a joke!

Thanks for your help in this post and my others.

Update is that my LBS do not offer the service but they have seen the frame and think the same as you - they will have a look at it and fit the new headset as the have a press.

I am wondering about the frames i have coming which will probably need the stem work done so i will have to enquire further with other LBS's to see if they can assist.

Thanks everyone, i bet you can't wait for the next update!

To be continued....

TGR":2dtiredr said:
i do understand but sometimes it is difficult to type a joke

Cobblers!

What do you get when you put 50 lawyers in a room with 50 lesbians? One hundred people who don't do dick. :LOL:

Back