1981 W. Jeff Lindsay Custom road bike

This has to be my longest project. I have been at it for just about 6 years now and the main thing I have learned from it is that I know nothing about 10 speeds haha. Well more now, but I made so many goofs along the way with this.

So I got the bike from Jeff Archer at Mombat many years ago. I actually got to know him bit through the bike and he was very helpful. Such a loss. Jeff was the third owner of the bike. It was purchased and raced in SoCal. No one of any fame, just an expert racer who road raced it and did some cross events. I have some pics somewhere of the bike in a cross/mtb race sharing the dirt with Ritchey ... I gotta find those.

Jeff got it with a Campy group on it, which I was to acquire before we lost him, but I got a bunch of stuff with it. I went back and forth with the build on it before going with this cross setup. I am a mtb guy and it seemed cooler to me this way. Clearances are tight but ok. I have a set of 28 cross tires I got with it, but they are done. The new 28s are have so much more volume than the older ones.

Anyway ... cool handmade California bike by one of the MTB greats.

Frame: Custom WJ Lindsay
Fork: WJ Lindsay

Headset: Shimano 600
Stem: Fillet Brazed Lindsay?
Handlebar: Specialized Dirt Drop
Grips: Leather

Brakes: Shimano 600
Brake Pads: Shimano
Brake Cables: Shimano
Brake Levers: Shimano 600

Shifters: Suntour
Front Derailleur: Shimano 600
Rear Derailleur: Shimano 600
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: Suntour
Chain: Shimano
Cranks: Shimano 600
Crank Bolts: Shimano 600
Chainrings: Shimano 600
Chainring bolts: Shimano
Bottom Bracket: Shimano
Pedals: MKS

Hub Skewers: Sachs
Rims: Champion 27"
Hubs: 1st Gen Bullseye
Nipples: ?
Spokes: ?
Tyres: Kenda Cross
Tubes: Mec

Saddle: Brooks Pro
Seatpost: Laprade
Seatpost Binder: Bolt

Lovely looking bike Jim. Reckon it was worth the wait ;)

Back