1980's Vintage Raleigh Clubman?

stevevw":2by6q8h1 said:
If you want to sell the guardsame let me know as I have a home for them.

I'll probably hang on to them in case I ever get the urge to return it to completely standard.

It needs a little tweaking to the derailleurs which I will do tomorrow,but apart from that it's ready to roll!

legrandefromage":1bsjehbj said:
Just be aware its 27 wheels so whatch the clearances - if you decide to change to 700c, you will need long drop brakes and the BB will be lower.

The shifters are band on too with no frame braze-ons.

But none of that is an issue if you dont intend to change a thing!

Mine was a frame only and a bit of a headache to sort - here it is with some crappy spare forks

clubman_145.jpg

I've been pondering what you have said about 700c wheels can you suggest an easy to fit pair of compatible hub size to the original?

This sort of thing is outside of my experience!

Re:

What are the perceived benefits,bearing in mind the hassle of doing so of replacing 27" wheels with 700C wheels?

I put the 700C front wheel from my vintage Raleigh Elix on to the Clubman this evening which was a straight fit and with plenty of room on the Clubman's front centre pull caliper to allow the blocks to drop down to meet the smaller 700C rim.

The rear wheel caliper does not have enough room for the blocks to be dropped down to a 700C rim, so a replacement longer drop caliper would be required.

The conversion,would it seems, be very straight forward as far as wheels go.I could have the original hubs rebuilt with 700C rims,or find a suitably hubbed vintage pair.

Is it a worthwhile conversion? I suspect the bike will look 'sexier' with the smaller slimmer rims,but is it only about looks and the desire to tinker or something a bit more concrete?

You will drop the BB height a bit lower so bear that in mind.

I had a lovely Raleigh Road Ace in 531c.

But, it was 27" wheels.

Red label sealed bearing hubs with the Weinmann convex rims and a 32 year old freewheel - all in good condition but age had taken its toll on the freewheel and it would not budge.

Then there was tyre choice at the time, it was pretty limited and as much as I love the nostalgia of Michelin World Tour, they are not the fastest rolling tyre. I think Passellas have resurfaced in the right size these days.

The Weinmann brakes were terrible but again nostalgia said cooeee and changing the whole kit and caboodle was going to cost some to sort the crap brakes, worn parts and other oddments to make it vaguely usable for everyday.

I ended up buying a modern replacement as it worked out cheaper, it even looked similar. Selling the Raleigh meant I only paid about £70 in total for its replacement.

file.php

file.php

I think you've answered my question in a round about sort of way.I'll resist the urge to tinker,then and just enjoy the Clubman the way it was intended accepting its limitations, which are amply made up for by its superbly comfortable ride.

Very nice pics,by the way.

Back