1980's Marin Models, Information, and ID-guide

Re:

Antstark":3txdtjro said:
A lot of the 88s had the 89 decals towards the end of the run. Also the decal placing seemed pretty random even for the same model .

Check out this 88 pine mountain I sold a few years back

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=242107

For that particular one, I would say it was either, repainted or re-badge bike since it not only has the 89 model decal, but its reversed in place with the brand decal. End and begging of the year frames come sometimes with the other years paint scheme, or components or decals. I strictly call model year, one that appears as described in catalog. I call transition bikes, those frames matching model year description with next year color or decals. To call the year on this one I would need a serial number pointing to an 1988 built. Keep in mind in the '80s many bikes sourced in Asia for US market, for example, were built five months before being sold as the next model year. As an example the 1983 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport fabrication began in July of 1982 based on BB date codes. Therefore why so many call their bikes 1982 Stumpjumper Sports, which is not the case in a model year sense.

Re:

It’s an 88 .. it was a lugged prestige frame. 89 was tig welded. The paint and the decals were 100% original on this. I did suggest they may have been dealer applied.

I have pictures of what I suspect is a transition 1988-89 Marin MuirWoods. As yours it shows a 1988 frame with 1989 decals. It's possible that an excess of 1988 frames were produced, weren't sold and were painted and outfitted as 1989 model year bikes at least during late months of 1988. That would be my guess for this one, but for the Pine Mountain is not clear. Is possible it was an uncorrected error in a new factory assembly line? These questions are answered with catalogs and serials in hand.

Attachments

• 1988-89 transition Marin MuirWoods.jpg
    1988-89 transition Marin MuirWoods.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 206
Was there really a 1988 Titanium bike for sale or was there only the Race bike sold in $2500 ($5500 today) to only a few big pockets then and who has one?

Beautiful bike!, I would call that an 1989 model year bike based on the lack of the forward facing chevron-shaped ST crown reinforcement lug.

Retrobikers,

This is a guide to help you identify the frames of Marin MTB from 1986 to 1989. Thanks for the contributions and comments of hamster, gtturbo, Antstark, and doctor-bond. I/m missing the highlighted entries.
I can’t comment on components or serials since I had no access to enough bikes, but I do have an incomplete idea of those that I will complete when enough bikes and pics area eventually shared.
But this will help with any frame painted, and with most unpainted frames if at least there’s knowledge the frame was a Marin.

Hope it helps! Keep healthy and riding

Santuri32

Attachments

• 1986-89 Marin MTB Frame Identification Guide.JPG
    1986-89 Marin MTB Frame Identification Guide.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 210
Back