1980's Frenchie

Unfortunately I gather that the Gitane frame numbers are as much of a mystery as the combination of parts used on the many incestuous models.

It seems like some models were finished with whatever was available just to get them out the door.

I would like to avoid spending money on restoring a frame only to find out later it is not a Reynolds frame but a cheaper unknown tubing. I also want to make sure any decals applied are as accurate as possible and I do not miss some blindingly obvious feature.

I may just have to go for something that looks accurate with the info I have at the time and try to make the best of it.

At least I know more now than I did before posting on this forum. :LOL:

I wouldn't worry too much as to whether it is a quality Reynolds frame or similar just how it looks and rides should give you an idea as to whether to spend money on it or not.

Looking at the frame I'd say it was a quality build but obviously you can't tell just by looking. Have you weighed it? A 531 bike weighs in at about 10kg on average I reckon. Oh and the seatpost is a loose indicator too; 27.2mm is the accepted norm for 531, although there are exceptions.

So whats the plan? A restoration of sorts I gather. Personally components wise I'd go all french, or all European at least, from the 1976 era...

Back