1978 Nishiki Competition

I agree that the saddle is certainly comfortable. I just had a look at it again and it has written Nishiki in an oval on the side, in gold. There are no other markings on the saddle, so I am not sure what it actually is.
I still want to go for a Brooks, but other bike projects and home restoring has limited budget.
Thanks again for all the nice comments!

http://cgi.ebay.ph/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0346013828

I wonder if Japanese leather saddles are just stamped that way or if it is from real Japanese cattle. Anyway, that's not a bad finishing touch though of course, Brooks saddles are the pinnacle. I know Japanese saddles are out there.

My suede saddle is stamped with silver paint: something like Selle Italia I believe, it might say San Marco, it is in storage right now.

Hello

I just found a Nishiki Competition from ca.1982 in good condition.
I really like its look, but don't know anything about the bike, but it seems that you guys could help me out.
I mainly wonder about the frame, what kind of steel was used for it? Saw on some pictures that it is a Tange tubeset?!
According to the seller it has a Suntour group.
What price is reasonable for it? He sells it for about 150 Euro.
Would have been great if you could give me some info on that one.

Thanks, Rasmus

Rasmus,

I am not really sure why, but my Nishiki is my favourite bike. It is a bit tight in the cockpit, as with most Japanese bikes the top tube is pretty short in comparison with the framesize, but it handles great.
The tube set is Tange Champion. The Competition was top of the range from Nishiki at that time. Mine is weighing only 10.4kg (23lbs), which is pretty good in my opinion for a '78 steel lugged bike. I really like the Suntour group and I prefer it over Shimano stuff, but that is a purely from a technical point of view.
I payed 100 euro's orso for it, so I guess that 150 is in the ballpark, if it is in a good condition.
Good luck!

nishiki competition bars and stem??

hi!
I realize this is an old thread, but I'm hoping someone sees this. Do you know what kind of bars and stem are on your Nishiki Competition? I just got one for very cheap, but the previous owner put these aweful upright hybrid bars with a steel stem and grip shifters! PLUS they swapped out the old rear cyclone. so- im now on the hunt for parts as close to original as I can find. I've found that some of these old gals had suntour ratcheting bar end shifters which I just happened to have a set of, but I have no bars, brake levers, stem, or rear cyclone. (uphill battle i know) anyhow, your help is appreciated, thanks!!
Shane

A nice Brooks honey Swallow will go well with that tape.

The machine is pretty mint! Nice groupset, the Suntour stuff whilst not having the cache of Campag et al, is a good looking reliable set of components.

Back