1964 Moulton Mark I (finished!)

The suspension in the front fork is very clever, but it all only comes apart if you can free up a rusted bolt hidden deep inside the steerer tube. Putting it all back together then requires to fork to be inverted, two 2ft screwdrivers and an ability to balance the bolt on the tip of one of the screwdrivers whilst navigating it through a blind hole. Coke can required to shim the top nylon bearing to remove play.

20230723_113128.jpg

20230727_194041.jpg

20230826_122505.jpg

20230826_123854.jpg

20230826_143328.jpg

Can I ask, and not in any derogatory way, why do folks like or what are the advantages of Moulton's? If it's the oddity factor, fair enough, but they don't fold or offer space advantages and they have all the disadvantages of small wheels

Can I ask, and not in any derogatory way, why do folks like or what are the advantages of Moulton's? If it's the oddity factor, fair enough, but they don't fold or offer space advantages and they have all the disadvantages of small wheels

They are definitely a bit quirky. It's been great fun working on a couple of them purely because they are very different to an "average" 80s/90s MTB. Would I ride one regularly? ... probably not. I've got to say though, the suspension makes the ride ultra-smooth & once the SA hub is dialed in the shifting is acceptable. However, the braking is shockingly bad and can't be relied on to save your life in an emergency. If you just want to potter around and pick up stuff from your local shops they definitely have a niche.

I subscribe to the Moultoneer Magazine 🤓 and that regularly contains articles about the benefits and efficiency of small wheels 🍿 These get cited fairly regularly...

1962 - Moulton with FC 11T 4-speed, breaks London-Cardiff record

Jim Glover set the unpaced land-speed record

On the last lap, not in the home straight yet though… I could have done a better job with the head badge decal if I'd removed the badge and straightened out some of the dings in it, but didn't have any 2.4mm pop rivets and just wanted it done. I've talked myself into thinking the slightly distressed look is in keeping with the rest of the bike. Looks good from a distance though 🧐

20231007_092525.jpeg

20231007_094111.jpeg

Last edited:
More decalling... The previous decals left quite a pronounced shadow in the paintwork which I couldn't really afford to buff out. The new decals were made up to be exactly the correct size to mask the previous ones.

P.S. the touch up paint splodges are not my handiwork. They are there to retain a bit of character though ;)

20231010_152254.jpg

20231010_153015.jpg

Last edited:
Back end coming together. Aesthetically I'd ideally like the wheel a bit further forward in the dropouts so it was framed in the mudguard a bit better. However the chain length dictated that it is where it is.

20231010_161115.jpg

Rather than reinstate the wiring for the front light dynamo, I thought it would be fun to see if I could fit an LED into the lamp housing. I bought a small LED torch kit from HERE and wired it all up. I found a small on-off toggle switch which fitted exactly into the hole left by the old wiring at the back of the housing. The kit comprises a white 5000mCd ultra bright LED and a small 12V battery, so it reasonably powerful. Definitely better than the dynamo anyway. I think it looks pretty good.

20231013_141101.jpg

20231013_140954.jpg

20231013_141018.jpg

20231013_141147.jpg

I really should get around to digging out the Moulton that's at my parent's place. My mother always wanted one so when the LBS I worked in took one in part-ex I claimed it (they were worth next to nothing back then) and spent lunch breaks and spare time sorting it. Time has dimmed my memory but I'm almost certain that the frame went to Bob Jackson's for spraying then I 'modernised' it a bit - radial spoking in the front wheel, think I fitted alloy brakes (possibly Weinmann) and the corroded cranks were swapped for a cotterless set up using the outer ring of a double set.

Last edited:
Back