1961 Claud Butler Super Coureur #9081 (Entente cordiale)

Re:

Interesting, I shall keep that in mind for future reference. Thanks!

I agree, enamels must be the way forward. I've tried using acrylics and they don't behave well in my experience on a non-porous surface unless it's totally oil/grease free, which is not all that practical!

Do you remember Swap Shop? Back in the 70’s, Noel Edmonds and his chums refereeing over kids swapping stuff that their parents had spent their hard-earned money on…my father was not a fan! :(
But recently in my request for anyone who might want to part with a pair of Mafac “Racer” centre pull brakes, I inadvertently entered into a swap, with allenh.
He had some Racers, and wanted some period quality levers, I offered up a pair of GB Arret’s that were surplus to my requirements and the swap was arranged. A few days latter and I have a tidy pair of Racers….. time to start polishing!

Ps. Cheers allenh :LOL:

Attachments

• Mafac Racer.jpeg
    Mafac Racer.jpeg
    168.4 KB · Views: 553
  • Swapshop.jpg
    Swapshop.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 553
They are great brakes and they come up looking really very nice. I was given a set for my Jack Taylor and after a bit of polish and a £ or so for some new red bushes sent from France and they work a treat. They didn't need new bushs/sleeves but I just liked the look of the red.

Started with these:
11111 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

End result
DSC_1862 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Nice work Jamie, you've set the bar, I'll see if I can match you in finish (although I've already snapped one of the pad pegs during strip down, :facepalm: fortunately a Frenchmen was selling just one of exactly the same unit for a couple of euro's) :D

Mine are OK, just cleaned and a very light autosol to clean rather than high polish.
I have a few spares and bits of calipers etc so if you need anything let me know.
I'll see what I've got.

Jamie

PeachyPM":ibvykkwo said:
Nice work Jamie, you've set the bar, I'll see if I can match you in finish (although I've already snapped one of the pad pegs during strip down, :facepalm: fortunately a Frenchmen was selling just one of exactly the same unit for a couple of euro's) :D

Oops

allenh":2sexybud said:
PeachyPM":2sexybud said:

Oops

Yes… oops indeed, it looks like one of the washers on this block may have been Stainless Steel rather than zinc, so its suffered a little from some bimetallic corrosion. The other three just twisted apart really easily, but the fourth was more stubborn. And with an over enthusiastic twist I snapped it clean off! A couple of taps with a punch and the shaft popped free, (should have done that first time around)

Remember kids, zinc & aluminium are right next door to each other at the Anode end of the table so are much happier bedfellows when wet.
Stainless leans more towards the Cathode end so can get a bit messy over time when sat with aluminium.

Attachments

• Sauveur.jpg
    Sauveur.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 518
  • MafacBlock.jpeg
    MafacBlock.jpeg
    226.2 KB · Views: 518
There's nothing worse than that sudden easing up when twisting something corroded, its the millisecond of oh that good it's freed up before the realisation of no it hasn't it's snapped kicks in.

Bonne nouvelle! I got myself some vraiment magnifique Michelin Elans for le projet….

Cheers jm :D

Attachments

• MichelinElan.jpeg
    MichelinElan.jpeg
    272.3 KB · Views: 504
Back