1961 Claud Butler Super Coureur #9081 (Entente cordiale)

Second hand Blue B17 arrived at last, road test this evening if I can get out work sharpish... :cool: 35C044A1-3DAD-48A5-8CCE-C8898721E80F.jpeg

Last edited:
PeachyPM":1ce1cubh said:
Second hand Blue B17 arrived at last, road test this evening if I can get out work sharpish... :cool:
Nice finishing touch and it is poets day so getting out of work sharpish is obligatory today.

Sorry I'm late to the party, bit just wanted to say what a lovely restoration.

I've read through, but can't find who you got to do the paint ? Could you please give some advice on this as I'm looking for recommendations.

Thanks, Gren

allenh":mm4ycy6h said:
PeachyPM":mm4ycy6h said:
Second hand Blue B17 arrived at last, road test this evening if I can get out work sharpish... :cool:
Nice finishing touch and it is poets day so getting out of work sharpish is obligatory today.

Checked my time sheets, and although its frowned upon for senior management to bugger off sharpish, the end of British Summertime is looming so I'll be out of the door by 4pm!

Gren":1q8e0hpr said:
Sorry I'm late to the party, bit just wanted to say what a lovely restoration.

I've read through, but can't find who you got to do the paint ? Could you please give some advice on this as I'm looking for recommendations.

Thanks, Gren

Cheers Gren, :cool: glad you like it, don’t forget to vote! viewtopic.php?f=12&t=388727

(Although you will need to comment on threads or produce your own to get your post count up to 30 before you are allowed that privilege. easily done though, just peruse some the great bikes in Readers Bikes and make a pleasant comment, we all like them after all) :D

This was painted by Bob Jackson’s in Leeds, link here; http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/
Couldn’t recommend them more highly.

Managed to get an hours run when I got home, the Brooks is much more forgiving than blue e-bay special, cables need tweaking here & there.
Left my phone at home so no data, but you know when you are in top and you think you could be going faster? So I might swap the freewheel for the six speed closer ratio 90’s Mavic that I took off the Majestic. :? D9C8E31D-A9E8-4205-9809-79AA90BACF36.jpeg

Last edited:
PeachyPM":33bxanez said:
This was painted by Bob Jackson’s in Leeds, link here; http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/

Thanks, that is what I'd heard, and their prices look reasonable too - but the P&P is a PITA :-(
I'll give them a call to ensure they don't use adhesive decals where waterslide should be used. I don't care what certain printers and painters say; I was brung up in the 60's and I CAN tell the difference !

Your bike looks great in the evening sun.

Gren":3b8t39q0 said:
PeachyPM":3b8t39q0 said:

Thanks, that is what I'd heard, and their prices look reasonable too - but the P&P is a PITA :-(
I'll give them a call to ensure they don't use adhesive decals where waterslide should be used. I don't care what certain printers and painters say; I was brung up in the 60's and I CAN tell the difference !

Cheers, might be last of the summer rides I think.

As for BJ and decals, they have the skills to apply whatever decals you can supply them. And that’s easier said than done. Problems you will face are;
Waterslides have a limited shelf life, but you have to make large amounts to reduce costs, and you can’t store them for long.
This means that people don’t produce them any more as the market has become limited by the fact that there are so many vinyl guys out there producing short runs at a fraction of the price.
If you do find some over priced rare find waterslides, there’s every chance they will collapse when an attempt is made to use them. You can make your own using a descent printer and transfer film, these have been around for years for the model making market.... but they are not UV stable and the colour won’t last one season.
If you want waterslides, the only guaranteed way is to commission your own. But you will pay hundreds for something that cost £3 in vinyl.

Ps all mine are vinyl.... but you must make sure they are contour cut if you are going down the baked enamel route. ie no clear areas. These always trap tiny particles of air which expand into ‘silver discs’ in the oven and then are frozen in time, making your stickers look like a monkey applied them.

PeachyPM":1ypz1bi0 said:
Gren":1ypz1bi0 said:
PeachyPM":1ypz1bi0 said:

Cheers, might be last of the summer rides I think.

As for BJ and decals, they have the skills to apply whatever decals you can supply them. And that’s easier said than done. Problems you will face are;
Waterslides have a limited shelf life, but you have to make large amounts to reduce costs, and you can’t store them for long.
This means that people don’t produce them any more as the market has become limited by the fact that there are so many vinyl guys out there producing short runs at a fraction of the price.
If you do find some over priced rare find waterslides, there’s every chance they will collapse when an attempt is made to use them. You can make your own using a descent printer and transfer film, these have been around for years for the model making market.... but they are not UV stable and the colour won’t last one season.
If you want waterslides, the only guaranteed way is to commission your own. But you will pay hundreds for something that cost £3 in vinyl.

Ps all mine are vinyl.... but you must make sure they are contour cut if you are going down the baked enamel route. ie no clear areas. These always trap tiny particles of air which expand into ‘silver discs’ in the oven and then are frozen in time, making your stickers look like a monkey applied them.
I can agree with all of the above.

I would much prefer to use waterslides but as Peachy says the shelf life is a big problem, as an example I have some originals from a long closed frame builder that are now no more than curio's and can't be used and these are the norm not the exception.

You can make your own and I do for modelling but to use on something that will see a lot of sunlight they just don't last even if you cover them with a liberal coat of clear lacquer or varnish.

Sadly now for the limited numbers used by people like me vinyl is the only sensible option.

Re:

45667864_10156765557138399_3373217793305477120_n.jpg

45491530_10156765556833399_1070589760386367488_n.jpg

45502968_10156765557273399_6673923030982328320_n.jpg

I thought you might like to see my 1939 Claude Butler Super Arrow.

Back