Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Rocky Mountain Fan
Brodie Fan
Feedback
View
Hello fellow Retrobikers,

Please could more knowledgeable types shed some light on this recently acquired frame. I would like to build it back into a useable tourer. Firstly, I would love to try and work out its age, what sort of components it may have been built with, and thoughts on the frame in general.

The rear dropout width is 122mm and I think the frame is Reynolds 531.

Rory O'Brien used various frame builders - Vic Edwards and Les Ephgrave as well as others. I know it won't be possible to date the frame exactly, but any thoughts on the frame would be welcome.

The frame number on the underside of the bottom bracket reads - A 6026. It has Simplex vertical dropouts - the hanger has been modified at some point.

The rear stays feature braze-ons, presumably for a hanger - has anyone seen this arrangement before? There are no cantilever bosses on the rear.

Any feedback will be gratefully received - thanks in advance,

Simon

Link to Flickr album - https://www.flickr.com/photos/46959881@ ... 599031651/

16239536170_299c29853d.jpg

16422243965_02e77a19e9.jpg

16400957776_0f58568f52.jpg

16400840836_42d55b7866.jpg

16239415600_4c0bb9d93a.jpg

16240945747_49ca4978d0.jpg

16234839270_f3052fb506.jpg

Thank you for getting the ball rolling. Out of interest - what features stand out that enable your dating? What wheel size would have been used in all likelihood, mid-sixties? 26" or 27"?

Re:

Hi, that lug was popular in the sixties, that fork slightly sloping is mid to late sixties, and the derailleur cable routing at the bottom bracket was again popular mid to late sixties. These all point to the mid sixties, but of course you can ask for what you want, if you had the money, at a later date than we are indicating, that rear dropout is the fly in the ointment, but could of been added later. I hope this helps. Terry

Simplex virtical dropouts started in 1964 according to Classic lightweights. Nice frame Si. Has the bottom bracket got Nervex on it?

OldTel":13vl8eyb said:
That rear dropout is the fly in the ointment, but could of been added later. I hope this helps. Terry
Thanks for your observations. The dropout has definitely been modified. I understand this was fairly common to allow for more derailleur options.
keithglos":13vl8eyb said:
Are the brazed bosses behind the seat lug for a fabricated pannier carrier?
Keith
Interesting point. If this was the case - was it normal to mix brake types? Cantilever at the front and something else at the rear? Drum? Side-pull?
COUPES":13vl8eyb said:
Simplex virtical dropouts started in 1964 according to Classic lightweights. Nice frame Si. Has the bottom bracket got Nervex on it?
Thanks COUPES. Yes, Nervex stamped in the bottom bracket. I think the lug pattern was called Legere?
16239162448_b2c2cdbb71.jpg

Re:

Thats the ones! Just thinking it might have had a fork change? With braze-on brake at the front.

keithglos":2yzpo0ie said:
looks to me 1965 ish. Are the brazed bosses behind the seat lug for a fabricated pannier carrier?

Keith

That's a very good question, IMO. Frankly, I've not seen them before.

Would the frame have come from the builder (in the first instance) with the rear rack built on ? Or is it likely to have been a (slightly) later addition ?

I wonder who built this frame, it looks to be well thought out and I think it will build into an excellent touring bike.

Re: Re:

COUPES":ew9e2ped said:
Thats the ones! Just thinking it might have had a fork change? With braze-on brake at the front.

Interesting thought. I hadn't considered that the fork might have been changed. One of the reasons I thought it might be a Vic Edwards built frame was because of the fork crown... Oh well, it may remain a mystery! :)

Back