1955 F. R. Russell Rebuild

Re: Bikeaholic Relapse - 1970 Carlton Ten & 1955 F. R. Russe

No pictures of the Carlton 10 :D

Shaun

Midlife":3v2kte9n said:
No pictures of the Carlton 10 :D

Shaun

I'll start a new post about the Carlton Ten, not had chance to take any photo's yet. I was hoping to get some done over the weekend, but its Monday again with only half the jobs on my list done :facepalm:

Here's the F. R. Russell which is almost complete. Before any of you start :) I know its a fixed and I've kept it as a fixed :shock: Normally, I would be the first the raise my disgust BUT I wanted to return this to the life it had always known! From all the details and parts it seems to have either always been a fixed gear, or converted a longgggggggg time ago. Anyway, I had to make some drastic decisions, as you can see from the earlier photo's it wasn't in the best of health. The saddle had its nose ripped off and the later replacement wheels were knackered. The stem had lost most of its chrome and been hand painted along with the front forks.

I like to try and keep originality wherever possible but this did need an extreme makeover. I had a suitable Brooks Swallow saddle and very fortunately, a pair of 27" Dunlop Super Lightweight wheels with a flip flop hub, although not large flange which would have been perfect....but perfection doesn't exist :) Front forks have been re-painted back to black. The stem and seat bolt have been re-plated. Apart from that its had a good scrub and polish, the lug lining has been redone along with the F. R. Russell decal. Plus a new Reynolds 531 decal care of Nick at H Lloyd.

Its always difficult when a fair bit of restoration is needed. If you cross the line, the bike is no longer what it was anymore. Hopefully, I've found the balance.

I've never owned or ridden a fixed so may have some fun or a trip to the hospital at the weekend. Its also a 'proper' fixed with an anticlockwise locknut on the sprocket, I've read a few stories of people braking with the pedals on so called 'fixed', only to find the rear end disintegrate, probably along with their own rear end :)

One thing that's come across from the rebuild is there is a beauty in the simplicity of a fixed gear. Having said that, I'll never be a fan of butchering good road bikes to convert.

I've got a red brake cable cover on the way but I'll wait and see how that looks, might be to flash. Anyways, that's about it so all comments welcome :)

Attachments

• DSC03503.JPG
    DSC03503.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 598
  • DSC03504.JPG
    DSC03504.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 596
  • DSC03506.JPG
    DSC03506.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 596
  • DSC03507.JPG
    DSC03507.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 597
  • DSC03508.JPG
    DSC03508.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 598
  • DSC03509.JPG
    DSC03509.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 599
  • DSC03510.JPG
    DSC03510.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 599
  • DSC03511.JPG
    DSC03511.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 598

Attachments

• DSC03512.JPG
    DSC03512.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 595
  • DSC03513.JPG
    DSC03513.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 595
Very nice, there is indeed beauty in simplicity, certainly a head turner - well done. Fixed is worth the effort, don't rush it, just keep reminding yourself you are on a fixed just before junctions, or getting off, it will become second nature after a while, the only down side - going down hill. Terry

Wow Robbie you made quick work of this one, not like my projects that take forever because I can never make up my mind. Oh and I also love simple bikes!

Steven

Nice job! That looks fantastic, just my sort of thing!

Out of interest, the new chrome on the stem looks pretty good. Did you go with the cheaper quote in the end? If so what was the quality and service like? Can you recommend the firm?

Steve.

Thanks for the comments guys :) I can't wait to get out on it now, its going to be 'interesting'.

I've sent you a PM Steve :)

Back