1951 Sun Mist - L'Eroica-ising???

Re: 1951 Sun Mist - Project bike

jon w":qd6bb41n said:
Next job is the seat post. An odd ball 1 1/16 size.... is going to be reamed to 27mm as the top jug is less than round.

Next on the list are handle bars, brakes and tyres. Any recommendations for 27 x 1 1/4???

Thought you were putting 26" wheels on?

Re:

Progress....

It's rideable but not perfect...

And it looks truly disgusting.

The bars, and brakes came from car boot sales. The bars cost £1 and the brake levers £5. the shifter is a motorcycle choke lever I had laying about. The brakes are off of a 60's raleight which was destined for the skip. The wheels are from the same skip. The front is a 26x1 1/4 dynohub. The hub still works! The rear is a 26x1 3/8 sturmey hub with a french gearset. The derallieur is a cyclo sourced from ebay. The seat post is modified to fit the 1 1/16 stem acceptance and the saddle is off of another bike I have.

and the pump was found in the skip!

My next decision is what to do with the wheels. Should I re-rim them as 700C???

Then I need to clean up the bars and re-tape and clean up the levers.

Needs doing properly, to give justice to the frame.

Re:

Well done on getting it rideable. I think it looks great - the proportions are really nice. I love the choke / gear lever. Can you use the SA and the derailleur?

Re:

Spokesman;

Not sure about a full re-paint yet. Will give it a further clean and see how it is. I'll either laquer it to preserve the finish or look at a re-paint. The hard bit will be finding the correct colour and decals.

Goldie;

It not a geared SA hub, only derallieur. Am going to look into putting 700C wheels on it I think. I feel it will be more useable like that.

I've managed to source a Cyclo shifter clip now so can ditch the clutch lever.

Next tasks
Adjust saddle height
Ride our any issues as is
Figure out wheels
Clean frame, levers and bars
Re-tape bars (I have tape which matches the saddle)
Fit mudguards
Fit lights.

Ri

Re:

More progress in the right direction.

Because of the state of the wheels I took the decision to replace them with with modern flip flop wheels. I will restore the originals, but want a rideable bike for this summer!

Removing the rear freewheel assy from the old wheel was 'fun'. Had to strip the whole freewheel, then get a bar in the removal slots and gently tap it with the copper mallet.... 1 hour later it decided to move!!! Then found that the S/Speed freewheels use the same thread. So I now have a fix wheel on one side and a three speed on the other.

Replaced the crumbling bar tape with leather tape. Much better (and cleaner)...

The went to fitting mudguards. Looked at the old catalog and tried to replicate the stays on the new guards.

Also moved the gear lever to the down tube. I need to re-make the cable and remove the tape I used for routing..... but the lever is a thing of beauty....

Next sort the brakes and trial ride.....

Works for me... except those wheels. Please no. Lovin the rest of it.

It's rideable.... that's all I'm worrying about at the moment. From here on I can add originality whilst enjoying it as a bike not a wall picture.

I'm hoping to do one road ride on it this year.....

jon w":30nn1tqv said:
It's rideable.... that's all I'm worrying about at the moment. From here on I can add originality whilst enjoying it as a bike not a wall picture.

I'm hoping to do one road ride on it this year.....

Yes, defiantly rideable, sorry its just me getting too caught up in this retro thing! :D

Back