1950s tour of the Loire.

roadking":1297mv38 said:
CommanderChuff":1297mv38 said:
Any chance of somebody organising a rally to celebrate the end of the Great War?David

Interesting, I know the Great War sites well and thought I might venture over next year with one of the oldest lightweights I have (Hetchins or Hobbs of Barbican), perhaps beginning a ride from Etaples (Tommy called it Eat Apples), where many first arrived in France, and perhaps visiting a few sites related to Owen, Thomas etc...not fully thought through yet.

I have a pal with a nice van, so costs could be kept low with bikes in van and riders going as pedestrians ?

Jon.

Feeling that this could be a nice ride in August / Sept timeframe, and I would like to witness the last post at the Menin Gate.

Let us see how it develops, David.

Old Ned":jegq3teo said:
Did you get any reaction from the natives about your dress code and bikes?

And (presumably) period camera?

Yes, more so from tourists actually. They seem to be more curious than the locals, asking if there is a local vintage event on they should know about, or if it's some sort of charity ride we are on. Always feel like a bit of a spanner saying no, we just like riding old bikes and wearing old clothes. 'Normal' people seem to think there has to be more of a reason than this to do it!
We all come from a living history background though, or collect and wear vintage clothes, so no stangers to this. I often go out in my '40s cycing gear, including baggy plus sixes. Here in the UK most people prefer to just stare dumbly :LOL:

Attachments

• 12027555_10153857188413132_7948718536827175983_n.jpg
    12027555_10153857188413132_7948718536827175983_n.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 343
CommanderChuff":an9ncn3q said:
roadking":an9ncn3q said:
CommanderChuff":an9ncn3q said:
Any chance of somebody organising a rally to celebrate the end of the Great War?David

Interesting, I know the Great War sites well and thought I might venture over next year with one of the oldest lightweights I have (Hetchins or Hobbs of Barbican), perhaps beginning a ride from Etaples (Tommy called it Eat Apples), where many first arrived in France, and perhaps visiting a few sites related to Owen, Thomas etc...not fully thought through yet.

I have a pal with a nice van, so costs could be kept low with bikes in van and riders going as pedestrians ?

Jon.

Feeling that this could be a nice ride in August / Sept timeframe, and I would like to witness the last post at the Menin Gate.

Let us see how it develops, David.

I've been to the Menin Gate in"Wipers"a few times, I'm also planning a trip to Arnhem, respects must be paid to those who gave their lives there - a relative was in the Parachute Regiment under Johnny Frost (played by Anthony Hopkins in A Bridge Too Far), was captured and spent rest of the war as a PoW at Fallingbostel.

Rk.

quiet mike":3aofimnf said:
Old Ned":3aofimnf said:
Did you get any reaction from the natives about your dress code and bikes?

And (presumably) period camera?

Yes, more so from tourists actually. They seem to be more curious than the locals, asking if there is a local vintage event on they should know about, or if it's some sort of charity ride we are on. Always feel like a bit of a spanner saying no, we just like riding old bikes and wearing old clothes. 'Normal' people seem to think there has to be more of a reason than this to do it!
We all come from a living history background though, or collect and wear vintage clothes, so no strangers to this. I often go out in my '40s cycing gear, including baggy plus sixes. Here in the UK most people prefer to just stare dumbly :LOL:

I often ride with the Wayfarers, and we do wear period clothing on our rides...I tend to go for shorts (in an army surplus colour), and a suitable short sleeved shirt...refer my image of the Loire riders.

Even if riding 60, 70s or 80s bicycles I tend to wear appropriate comfortable attire - never team kit !

Rk.

Back