1950s tour of the Loire.

Re:

I remember pictures like this in books when I was a schoolboy back in the 70's and it's one of the things that got me cycling. That sense of adventure and freedom.

I don't tour much these days, but my fondest cycling memories are of touring - not knowing what's around the next corner, not knowing where you'll be sleeping etc
I did all the racing, training, posing too. My mates who have never toured just don't get it - they can't bear not having a light bike and being able to cane it ... sigh

keep em coming roadking

Re:

Thanks pigman,

coincidentally I've just been talking to a pal in Sheffield (Bents Green), he's joining me on a tour of the south west in August.

Somehow a touring bicycle just embodies those things you mention: adventure and freedom...majority of my cycling buddies have been racers and tourers though.

Rk.

And a few shots of a little Somme battlefield me and a couple of chums did at the end of the summer last year. We caught the ferry from Newhaven to Dieppe, then rode to Albert, toured the battlefield for a few days with a mate who caught the train down from Paris.
On the way back we were feeling good, so kept on riding through the night. An amazing experience on very quiet French roads. Riding through the wind turbine farms in moonlight was surreal, but other than that it wasn't hard to imagine we were back in the 1950's.
We wild camped, using basic camping gear. My mate had a super lightweight 1920's cycling tent, and a very thing sleeping bag. He didn't sleep to well though as he got cold in the night. I chose a modern blow up khaki mattress, MOD issue, and the same as I'd seen on old cycling adverts from the 40's and 50's. I had a heavier 3 season sleeping back, and an old army bivvi bag, no tent. I slept like a log under the stars, and got a great view of the Perseid meteor shower! Dickie had an old 1950's army sleeping bag and groundsheet. I will add, it didn't rain either ...

Ben was on a prewar Claud Butler. I rode my favourite machine, a 1946 Hobbs of Barbican Raceweight. Dickie was on an old Phillips black roadster.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29051501@ ... 9828622593

Somme Battlefield Cycle Tour by Mike, on Flickr

Somme Cycle Tour by Mike, on Flickr

quiet mike":25uob8qf said:
Fantastic photo! I love shots like these. Here is a family one from my Great Uncle Walter, riding with the Erdington Cycling and Social Club just after the war.

Club Cycle Ride by Mike, on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29051501@ ... 662548545/

That lovely image reminds me of the one I have of my Dad and his pal on Dad's F.W Evans tandem, they embarked north Surrey for a tour of the west country in July 1945 and the last postcard (of three he sent home) I have is from Bigbury-on-Sea...he was 16 yrs old.

Your tour of the Somme looks great, I did a similiar tour with friends on motorcycles (50s British) in the '90s.

Jon.

Looks like a great trip :)
Nothing like a bit of stealth camping under the stars. The weather helps ;)
Your photos make me want to load up and head out.
Thanks for sharing.

Jamie

Great photos, and lovely stories, please keep them coming,

Any chance of somebody organising a rally to celebrate the end of the Great War?

David

CommanderChuff":24luum17 said:
Any chance of somebody organising a rally to celebrate the end of the Great War?David

Interesting, I know the Great War sites well and thought I might venture over next year with one of the oldest lightweights I have (Hetchins or Hobbs of Barbican), perhaps beginning a ride from Etaples (Tommy called it Eat Apples), where many first arrived in France, and perhaps visiting a few sites related to Owen, Thomas etc...not fully thought through yet.

I have a pal with a nice van, so costs could be kept low with bikes in van and riders going as pedestrians ?

Jon.

Here's another trip we did in 2015. If the Somme tour photos didn't give you itchy pedals, these definitely will!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29051501@ ... 5383824750

A real mixture of bikes, from heavy 'old' pre war Roadsters, to 'modern' post war lightweights. All overloaded with camping gear though!
A tour of Normandy, ferry from Pompey to Ouistreham, leisurely 5 day cycle to Cherbourg and a ferry back to Pompey.
Because we were a larger mixed abilities group, we had friends in a support vehicle. They would go off and do their own tour, meeting up with us for lunch with a few bags of bagettes, saucisse, brie, cidre, and then again at the end of the day at the campsites.
(Me and one of the organisers, Ben, want to go back and do the same route again, but in one hit, and traveling light.)

WAMO 35mm shots by Mike, on Flickr

WAMO Cycle Tour of Normandy by Mike, on Flickr

WAMO Cycle Tour of Normandy by Mike, on Flickr

WAMO on 35mm by Mike, on Flickr

Did you get any reaction from the natives about your dress code and bikes?

And (presumably) period camera?

Latest posts

Back