Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 100% Bells & Whistles Restoration

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • History preserving Retro-Mod

Votes: 11 64.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: What to do with the Stars & Stripes Claud Butler 1949 Path

There is only one thing worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.

Oscar Wilde.

Maybe theres a museum interested in this? I dont normally like to see bikes in a museum setting but when they have a link to the past and are pretty unique especially with a very fragile paint job, it seems a good idea in this case.

PeachyPM":2ni1d8vy said:
Slept on it, changed my mind. :facepalm:
I'll use the three speed freewheel somewhere else. I quite like the idea of having a 3-speed indexed thumb shifter utilising the front chainrings and keeping the rear as a single cog (with a fixed position derailleur just to keep the chain in tension)

People will either love it or hate it, but at least they will be talking about it…… :p
And anyway, I know I’m only a temporary custodian of this little piece of velo history, so I wont be doing anything just yet that can’t be undone.

If it were mine I'd go retro mod preservation job too. Personally I wouldn't bother with the clear coat - there's always the danger that it will react/look awful and in the end ruin the existing finish, and it's not going to preserve what's there indefinitely because it needs a sound surface to work properly.

What's wrong with an oily rag? In the past a good wipe down with some WD40 (or whatever I have to hand) has worked well for me. Repeat now and then to keep rust at bay. Next time I plan to try some Ballistol which is designed for cleaning and preserving guns. Motorbike people like ACF-50 - I haven't used it.

This sort of approach helps a frame to last but at the same time continue to age gracefully - there's no shame in that IMO.

If you want gears then why not a Sturmey AW? Cheap, practical, reliable, available, will look right and you won't have to respace it. My wife rides a very similar bike - it works a treat - and I have built similar bikes for friends which they love. Single speed is easier, but not much use if it's hilly where you live...

legrandefromage":5rdbas0v said:
Maybe theres a museum interested in this? I dont normally like to see bikes in a museum setting but when they have a link to the past and are pretty unique especially with a very fragile paint job, it seems a good idea in this case.

I’ve attempted to contact a few, only had one reply.... the problem seems to be the lack of provenance. They were quite happy for me to loan it to them as long as I’ve payed for the shipping......

Basically a 1949 Olympic Path with some hand painted additional markings just doesn’t warrant the exhibition space..... if I had a photo with a named rider that would be a whole different world.

Re:

The clean up is coming on really well.

Wall hangers are cool (apparently), I have a Dave Lloyd Quantum 650 in my 'man room'. It does get ridden, just not that often.

bluetomgold":19xfvac5 said:
If it were mine I'd go retro mod preservation job too. Personally I wouldn't bother with the clear coat -

If you want gears then why not a Sturmey AW?...

I’ve got no concerns regarding paint technology, I’ve been spraying high end finishes for nearly 30 years, but today I did have chat with a friend who’s autoclave I wanted to use to spray this frame, did stop me in my tracks.... he suggested I just give her a couple of coats of wax until I really know what my plans are, wax can be a pain but not impossible to remove if I decide to attempt a sensitive ‘touch up’ later.

As for Sturmey hubs, I’ve got an FW on my Jubilee Special, see link in my signature, an AW planned for the wife’s Christmas pressy (in a 1955 Claud Ladies Sport....shush....that’s Jim’s next build) and a 5 speed which I have another plan for. That’s quite enough for one collection.

Re: Re:

kermitgreenkona88":1tnc93jb said:
I'll pay postage and can hang it on my wall if you like :?: ;)

You’re on! £400 and I’ll even gift wrap it! :xmas-big-grin:

Re: Re:

PeachyPM":w0dyte66 said:
kermitgreenkona88":w0dyte66 said:
I'll pay postage and can hang it on my wall if you like :?: ;)

You’re on! £400 and I’ll even gift wrap it! :xmas-big-grin:

£400 that is rather excessive for postage, unless it is hand delivered by Ellie Harrison in the buff with a full video of her in transit.................? Even then I would have to think about it very seriously.

I’d want Helen Mirren for that.

Back