• 100% Bells & Whistles Restoration

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • History preserving Retro-Mod

Votes: 11 64.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Re:

kermitgreenkona88":r5buhb3e said:
Not possible to remove them but you can lock the derailleur off so it doesn't go into the last cog.

Ok, I get it, so the advantage of a cassette over a freewheel is that you can change some individual cogs but your pretty much stuck with the amount of cogs that you start with….. :?:

New idea. How about a single speed freewheel on the back and an indexed 3 ringed crank on the front? Crazy? But might keep the rear triangle sound….

Attachments

• 3-speed.jpeg
    3-speed.jpeg
    143.4 KB · Views: 375
Re:

115mm is 4 1/2", which was Keithglos's predicted OLN.

Sprocket blocks don't really get narrower from having a couple of cogs left off- You'd still need 120mm to run a '5 speed' body, even if you've reduced it down to '3 speed'. Of course back in '49, blocks were three speed, or maybe four? Before my time..

That's why I say single-speed. Any hub from the '70s or before would fit in there I think- just take some spacers off the axle until it does. You'd have to re-dish, or rather un-dish the wheel.

edit:I guess the one in Kermit's link would work- it's probably no wider than a single-speed.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: American help required - stars & stripes Claud Butler

hows the frame looking now ?

Re: What to do with the Stars & Stripes Claud Butler 1949 Path

I wonder what else you can purchase from ladydress1010 ? Where is he/she based I wonder...........

Re: American help required - stars & stripes Claud Butler

enc":2kfv5iqn said:
hows the frame looking now ?

Here you go enc;

Round one of the clean-up, a lot more painstakingly slow work to do yet though...

Attachments

• BB.jpeg
    BB.jpeg
    255.6 KB · Views: 351
  • SeatStays.jpeg
    SeatStays.jpeg
    231.9 KB · Views: 350
  • Frame.jpeg
    Frame.jpeg
    262.7 KB · Views: 351
Re:

It must have looked stunning in its original glory.
I Like what you are doing so far but I'd be saddened to see it decked out with that modern Stars and Stripes Tat.

Attachments

• IMG_1642.JPG
    IMG_1642.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1643.JPG
    IMG_1643.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 7
Re: Re:

enc":1loerc2b said:
It must have looked stunning in its original glory.
I Like what you are doing so far but I'd be saddened to see it decked out with that modern Stars and Stripes Tat.

Don't be too sad... be assured my son will respect the frame and actually love and care for it, (and of course ride it) the silly stuff is just for fun and only temporary and doing a very good job of enthusing a lad to get involved in some actual hands on real life mechanical engineering and off of the X-box!
He’s 11 now, but taller than I was at his age and I'm over 6'. He probably won't fit this frame for another year or so, but going on how my daughter has shot up in her early-teens, I've got a feeling I'll blink and he will be riding the 23.5" steads in the Peachy stable!
This bike will most likely end up having a preserved patina finish with as much of its original kit repaired/restored plus some catalogue correct replacements... living out its days hanging on a wall in the house (Jim wants it in his bedroom.. best I leave the persuading Mrs Peachy to agree to this over to him) and occasionally brought out to show off on high days & holidays.

Re: What to do with the Stars & Stripes Claud Butler 1949 Path

Slept on it, changed my mind. :facepalm:
I'll use the three speed freewheel somewhere else. I quite like the idea of having a 3-speed indexed thumb shifter utilising the front chainrings and keeping the rear as a single cog (with a fixed position derailleur just to keep the chain in tension)

People will either love it or hate it, but at least they will be talking about it…… :p
And anyway, I know I’m only a temporary custodian of this little piece of velo history, so I wont be doing anything just yet that can’t be undone.

Back