1935 Schwinn Excelsior Klunker Redux on P6

nporternz":9ewe8i9e said:
where is the lumberjack shirt?????? and the jeans?

I started out with jeans and shirt but it was too warm and muggy to be comfortable. Hauling that thing round was hard work as you can see from the state of my T shirt in the last pic. I was bloody suffering :?

Si

Dr S":3snm8qgw said:
nporternz":3snm8qgw said:
where is the lumberjack shirt?????? and the jeans?

I started out with jeans and shirt but it was too warm and muggy to be comfortable. Hauling that thing round was hard work as you can see from the state of my T shirt in the last pic. I was bloody suffering :?

Si

i just thought the camelbak leaked!! ;)

awesome bike though and well worth the time and effort! got my vote in BOTM

That bike is a thing of beauty and to see it out on the trails and covered in mud well thats what retro biking is all about...

Don't know how you do it but it has my vote for bike of the month. :D

Beautiful piece of machinery...

Good to see it being used rather than being a garage queen. Have enjoyed the progress. Been dreaming about building one myself for some years this has given me the inspiration to get of my arse and do something about it.

Hope the head badge did'nt cost too much in the end.

clunker":26itke6d said:
Good to see it being used rather than being a garage queen. Have enjoyed the progress. Been dreaming about building one myself for some years this has given me the inspiration to get of my arse and do something about it.

Hope the head badge did'nt cost too much in the end.

Cool! Keep me posted on how you get on and if you need any help you know where to find me ;)

Headbadge should be here this week and cost only $33 which is crazy as a really poor one did $165 the week before.

Thanks for all your comments once again and cheers for the votes guys.

Keep klunkin'
Si

Dr S":20svoex1 said:
3572118207_4d953bbb83.jpg

Last minute fettle of those terrible brakes....

Keep Klunkin'
Si

Very nice!

What kind of handle bars are those? And how did you get the cross brace past the stem?

Bars are Skull Skates repro 26" Cruiser bars. You need a shim to fit them into the Ashtabula stem. Fitting is a nerve wracking experience, although the cross brace is much narrower than the main part of the bars, it still needed the stem opening up. Take care and give it a little heat before inserting a small pry bar in the slot. Just bend enough to get the bars in and then quickly close the gap before it cools. Be carefull when closing to ensure the bolt holes are aligned. You only get one shot at this and those Ashtabulas are getting scarce.

How is your project coming along J? Why don't you start a thread over here- help get the UK Klunker scene going??

Cheers
Si

Dr S":1uuvcl4c said:
Just bend enough to get the bars in and then quickly close the gap before it cools. Be carefull when closing to ensure the bolt holes are aligned. You only get one shot at this and those Ashtabulas are getting scarce.

How is your project coming along J? Why don't you start a thread over here- help get the UK Klunker scene going??

Yikes -- that sounds like fun!

Sure, I'll start a thread over the weekend. mtbr's VRC forum is getting a little emotional these days anyway. In the meantime, here's a link to what I have over there: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=512592

J_Westy":3p1me5el said:
Sure, I'll start a thread over the weekend. mtbr's VRC forum is getting a little emotional these days anyway. In the meantime, here's a link to what I have over there: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=512592

Too many assholes over there, its much friendlier over here. Liking the progress you have made- won't be long until you can start the build?

Looking forward to your thread. ;)

Keep on Klunkin'
Si

Back