16" 1993 Kona Fire Mountain Father/Son Build

retroyetirigid

Yeti Fan
Feedback
View
As part of a bonding thing with my eldest son(he's 10 ), we're building him a new (to him) bike. He asked about building one earlier in the week as he see's me tinkering with bikes all the time :roll: :D

I'd aquired this Kona Fire Mountain as a mostly complete bike from Pyro Tim about a year ago, sold or used most of the componentry knowing that the frameset would be all that I'd really need. Well, now the time has arrived for it to get built again, but in a way that would be best for him. This means not masses of gears, fairly light, good handling and fairly cheap (as I'm skint :( ).

I know Kona Fire Mountain's of this vintage handle well (I had one till a few months ago) and being a 16" doesn't weigh too much. It came to me for the cost of a wheel build, so cost was reasonable. It also means raiding my parts stash :twisted: .

The plan is to use tatty but functional parts, so in true retro fasion it wil have :- 1 X 7 gear set up (with thumbie), canti's, 32 spoke wheels, kevlar beaded tyres and a ti railed saddle.

A few pics of what we've got to start with, other parts will require some digging on my part :oops:

P5311240_zps6be4c1eb.jpg

One happy lad and his new steed :LOL:

P5311247_zps65e90c7f.jpg

Tatty but functional.

P5311243_zps4d0e5e9c.jpg

Proper forks ;)

P5311242_zpsb063e2fe.jpg

Original front end.

P5311248_zps1756a240.jpg

Specialized X25 rims on Shimano Exage hubs with Michelin Wildgripper Comp S tyres that I had from an abandoned project. Reasonably light and should do the job.

P5311254_zps48153188.jpg

NOS Dia Compe SS7 levers in BLUE, tatty (but comfy) ti railed saddle and a Blackspire 34 tooth chainring in BLUE

Will update things as we progress, will be working on it with him once a fortnight with him doing most of it (he wants to) and hoping to have it finished by the end of August (his birthday).

Great project mate, these are the best builds, done this before with my (step)son and it was a big joy to see him excited about a bike.

Re:

We did a bit more work on this yesterday morning as the weather started out bad (cleared up pretty quickly though).
Started out by getting Sean on the basics, fitting an innertube :D
P6071280_zps688d5f4e.jpg

While I went ahd sorted these bits out ;)
P6071282_zpse3c173a5.jpg

P6071284_zps9fb3caf3.jpg

Yes it is a short cage LX mech. Modified by myself and using an Ultegra cage. :shock:

P6071292_zps4c1e6cf6.jpg

The ubiquitous(sp) XT thumbshifter. :mrgreen:

P6071285_zps607c2ad7.jpg

Now fitting the wheel after repair.

P6071293_zpse3ba0012.jpg

The work so far......not sure about the red grips :roll: but Sean liked them.

P6071294_zps7dc1a303.jpg

And with Sean sat on it, think the red spiderman slippers go well (with the grips) :LOL: , looks just right IMO, so, happy with that.
Have found some 170mm 5 bolt compact crankarms. Just need a shorter B/B, canti's (I've got some blue tektro's somewhere :oops: ), pedals and its time to cable up and ride :D

Re:

Surely they're SPD'erman slippers.......... I can't believe I just said that.

This is a great project though, reminds me of myself way back when. Those fire mountains are lively little frames too. Should see him catch the bike bug for sure.

Great stuff. I brought a '95 Fire Mountain back to life at the beginning of the year for my 14 year old to ride and he loves it. He's on a growing spurt and I've had to raise the saddle a good 30mm since then......and I no longer have to wait for him at the top of hills :shock:

Awesome bike and experience. My almost three year old daughter is my wrench buddy. So much fun. Really look forward to building her a retro bike one day.

Really like the tires. Would like a pair for my kona.

Re:

When I was 10 I had a 2002 raleigh something or rather from halfords and I completely trashed it, not that my dad would of built me a kona anyway :LOL:

I wouldn't let my kid ride old wildgrippers tho to be fair, he might end up faceplanting the tarmac. Get him some brand new tyres!! :facepalm: :LOL:

Sean :)

Back