13th April 08 : HONC entry now available

Poor ol' Moots only made it out twice last year!

I've been into the single speed thing so much over the past couple of years that all my other bikes are gathering dust and cobwebs. :(

I'll get the feather duster on 'em in the Spring. :D

Wu-Tangled":3lp2lqdk said:
Russell,

what's the terrain like overall? Is it a race like a muddy field or more hardpack tracks and stuff?

Totally depends on the weather. Like JV said, in 2007 we had sunny weather and hardpacked trails, which was great, but in 2006 we had the mother of all storms which turned the tracks to rivers and made riding the high spots on the course feel very exposed and uncomfortable indeed :) The route tends to stick to nice bridleways and tracks though, with a few technical hills thrown in here and there to keep you awake.

There are road sections, but hopefully the course profile above shows that they're certainly not 25km of flat road.

As for choosing distance, again, you do that on the day... Weather dependant :)

This isn't a race, although there are people that will put the hammer down obviously. If you get good weather and you're riding with nice people, its a great day out.

Right, so who's in all together? I make it:

Heathy
Allwayshorizontal
Me
John
Mr. and Mrs. Wu
Gump
Graheme
Stevek + 1
Cherrymatt
Hilts

Hope I haven't missed anyone but it seems there's going to be a fair gathering and a good range of machines.

It might also be helpful to indicate whether you'd prefer a social, all stick together ride or a more right wing, every man for himself speed fest (I suspect in reality both will happen on the day fairly organically but it might be nice for people to have an indication in advance) and also what distance you're intending to do even though you choose on the day.

I'm thinking 100k, putting a fair amount of work in (social ride for me then) and ss cross bike although I reserve the right to change my mind on all these options numerous times in the coming months and then desperately fettle away by the light of a headtorch the night before.

Oh, and one things for sure, I'll have a pork pie or two with me

gump":3ulzfl2q said:
Jeffy pace :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

:D

Wasn't planning on doing this event but am trying to now. Could be good training for MM - my pork pie eating ability isn't what it used to be either!

Had the pleasure of riding with Jeff last year on this.
Damn he is quick. Very quick.
At MM he came round first in the run. Then after one lap on an old stock mid 80s overburys (not like a pioneer you understand, much less off roady) still came in top 8 in Elite I think.

Useful for training though :LOL:

Latest posts

Back