126mm Hubs freehub transplant

bikenrrd said:
On the hubs I have the 4mm spacer is removed from the non-drive side, so I can't see how that would cause the freehub or cassette to foul the frame. If the smallest sprocket is fouling the frame, you might be limited to a larger small sprocket. I like 13->26 as a cassette anyway. :)[/quote

thanks, taking the spacer from non drive side will mean re-dishing the wheel drive side which is not recommended as it makes the wheel weak on the already steep dish. Thats why they went from 126 to 130 mm when increased from 7 to 8spd+

it would otherwise be an easy solution, thanks

I understand the clearance issue - presumably your frame doesn't have the flattened inner face of the chainstays just by the dropout on the drive side.

Definitely you can do the transplant - I have done it with MTB hubs. I'm not sure that it will work with the very latest ones, which (as others have said) seem to be more heavily recessed around the freehub body. Certainly it will work with late 90's hubs which are all essentially the same design. When things switched to alloy stub axles etc it got more incompatible.

hamster":23xnl4oe said:
I understand the clearance issue - presumably your frame doesn't have the flattened inner face of the chainstays just by the dropout on the drive side.

Definitely you can do the transplant - I have done it with MTB hubs. I'm not sure that it will work with the very latest ones, which (as others have said) seem to be more heavily recessed around the freehub body. Certainly it will work with late 90's hubs which are all essentially the same design. When things switched to alloy stub axles etc it got more incompatible.

Thanks. No, the frame is old (fathers 531, good sentimental value and lovely comfy ride) and has drop out plates with sloping dropout for aligning 3spd hub as original.

Looking at the fh-5700 tech drawing from shimano there does not appear to be a deep recess like on my ultegra hub so I was hoping the 5700 migh be a good match for a 7 spd freehub.

Other option is to be patient and hope an old 1055 hubset in good condition crops up on Ebay (good condition and sensible price is the issue).

Back