105 8speed shifters

Gulwing

Dirt Disciple
Hi all

I bought a bike at the start of the year, full 8speed 105 groupset on it apart from the claris shifters installed, seller gave me the 105shifters separate.The seller told me, one of the 105 shifters was broken. I dont know which one and iv never looked into it before. I want it for a new frame iv got. Cannondale Cad4 r10000.
Are the mechanisms repairable? Would it be obvious what is broken/missing? Iv never took apart a shifter before.

Thank you 👌

They cannot be dismantled and repaired, however usually the problem is that the grease hardens and stops the mechanism. A really good blast through with WD40 will soften the grease and bring them back to life.

Exactly as @hamster says - though I had one for years that had been gummed up with grease, and flushing through with WD40 now and again kept it going, but eventually it did stop working all together - the problem being that one of the pawls inside had broken. Once you've done the flushing through it should make a good solid 'click' on each moving of the levers - if not it's probably actually broken.

But yes - taking them apart is not a good idea anyway unless you're a watchmaker...

Exactly as @hamster says - though I had one for years that had been gummed up with grease, and flushing through with WD40 now and again kept it going, but eventually it did stop working all together - the problem being that one of the pawls inside had broken. Once you've done the flushing through it should make a good solid 'click' on each moving of the levers - if not it's probably actually broken.

But yes - taking them apart is not a good idea anyway unless you're a watchmaker...
Ah ok, when I say broken. The seller told me there was a clunk when he was using it one day and it didn't work, I cant remember if he said it was brake or gear that clunked. He bought replacement shifters, never looked into it but kept it anyway. Then the special chap I am has bought it and now don't know what to do. Pawls? I am not a watch maker no. Is it beyond repair?

Essentially STI shifters have a lot of small parts all packed into a small space, and they are not designed to be serviceable beyond removing a few outer parts (and even this can be quite tricky – I've done it myself).

It'll be the gear shifting part that has broken, if indeed it is broken. The braking aspect of the lever is the same as a regular lever so there's not so much to go wrong there - the shifting is the complicated bit. If it stopped working suddenly it's probably a good bet it's actually broken - the gumming up with grease is what tends to happen if they are left unused for a while, which is not the case here.

Even broken ones will sell on eBay for some money, so I'd list them as a pair for spares - I guess it's either that or install them to see for sure which one is broken, if it's not obvious by pushing the levers and seeing how well they 'click' into each gear.

Essentially STI shifters have a lot of small parts all packed into a small space, and they are not designed to be serviceable beyond removing a few outer parts (and even this can be quite tricky – I've done it myself).

It'll be the gear shifting part that has broken, if indeed it is broken. The braking aspect of the lever is the same as a regular lever so there's not so much to go wrong there - the shifting is the complicated bit. If it stopped working suddenly it's probably a good bet it's actually broken - the gumming up with grease is what tends to happen if they are left unused for a while, which is not the case here.

Even broken ones will sell on eBay for some money, so I'd list them as a pair for spares - I guess it's either that or install them to see for sure which one is broken, if it's not obvious by pushing the levers and seeing how well they 'click' into each gear.
Thank you for the explanation. That has surely saved me hours of pain looking on my garage floor for the pieces iv dropped. I think I'll look out for a spare one. They are in good condition and it will be a complete set with the shifters.

I have a working right-hand one if that's the one you need - cosmetically a bit scuffed, but works fine - I'd be happy to sell it to you. They do come up on eBay now and again, but they're not too easy to get these days in good condition.

I have a working right-hand one if that's the one you need - cosmetically a bit scuffed, but works fine - I'd be happy to sell it to you. They do come up on eBay now and again, but they're not too easy to get these days in good condition.
Ok thanks, I'll fit it to a spare set of bars at the weekend and see which it is that i need. Thanks again.

I did finally get this resolved. Took shifters to my local legend for help. Lots of wd40 and flicking levers. Both shifters working and clicking as they should. Very pleased 👍 thanks for the advice, I would have taken it apart in a heartbeat otherwise.

Back