1999 Dekerf Generation (non-sympathetic restoration!)

nedrapier

Dirt Disciple
Howdy All,

First post, thought I'd do it here with the bike, rather than in the hello thread.

This is a bit of a before and after, too, because it's going off to Dave Yates for some TLC in the next 6 weeks or so.

4282463230_bd8652770d_b.jpg

And I'm probably going to spend way more than I should, but hey. "You could get 2 456s for that!" Bof, as they say in France. Don't really want a 456, or even 2!

Headtube's bit flared, so that's to be filled and re-reamed; disc mount on the back and associated guides swopping, tidying and gubbins, and a respray. I'll take those reba's down a notch, too.

It'll be nice to have it all spruced up again. Will post some "after" pics when I get it back.

Can't recommend Dave yates enough for repairs and paint. I had him replace the chewed up chain stay on my Dave Yates and respray it sky blue a few years ago.

To say it came back looking better than new is an understatement :).

Quick (not very good) pic:

bike.png

Hello and welcome to the site! Sweet frame , looking forward to seeing it after its makeover :cool:

Cheers all.

kikaha: nice pics. That's exactly how mine used to look. The frame, anyway. I'd love to find some old style decals. Any ideas?

As I've still got time to mull it over, does anyone want to help me choose a colour? Current favourite is a metallic dark grey/bronze; or a flat primer grey, or a late entrant: a light blue/silver a bit like this:

generation.jpg

I reckon they'd all look pretty good with orange decals. Although if I find some 1999 decals, it's time to start thinking again.

Any thoughts?

I think light colours, except for white pearl, are a no-no on Dekerfs. There's one that's been touted around on Ebay for a while, in lght blue: Looks kinda wishy washy.

Changed the title!

I wanted to make sure the steerer wasn't being scored by the loose headset (as this was what happened on the old MX Comps when the headset became loose in the frame). Everything was fine, and once I'd cleaned and reassembled everything, the creaking was gone! Happy days.

It did sound loud and ominous, and the vibrations from the creaking were very noticeable through the bars. It sounded a lot like it did the last time, so I just put my sad face on and assumed the worst.

It's staying as it is for the moment then. I rode the SDW at the weekend with nary a whisper from the headset. I'll probably consider getting the respray and disc mounts when the rear wheel needs replacing. Or maybe not. The rear V's don't give me anywhere near as much gyp as the disc on the front!

Changed the title again!

Sent it off to Dave Yates in March (3 years after 1st post!) along with a Salsa Cromoto fork. Disc mount, brace hydro guides, removal of bosses and a respray. Couple of new bits, couple of bits off STW classifieds, couple of bits from the parts bin and wheels nicked/being shared with the Dialled PA and here we are:

8666320522_4a09c0a579_b.jpg

8665123555_794f70a9e4_b.jpg

8665123913_ed0796bf71_b.jpg

Back