Kona Mokomoko '98

Easy_Rider

Retrobike Rider
OWMTBC Champ
PoTM Winner
Feedback
View
1998 Kona Mokomoko, Easton Elite.
Currently built for Mrs E_R with bits I had, but ideally I would like to change the build. Maybe with some period disks.

P2071401.JPG

P2071402.JPG

Camera decided to focus on the bricks instead :roll:
Why is there no stops for the rear mech cable? Catalogue shows it is supposed to.

P2071403.JPG

Catalogue gives the impression that it's not just a downhill bike, I wouldn't have classed it as a downhill bike, even in 1998. Notice the polished rear triangle, I don't know why mine is black.

KonaMokomokocatalogue98.jpg

After a recent ride :D
P2071388.JPG

P2071390.JPG

P2071391.JPG

Yeah it does need decals :oops:

Is the rear triangle interchangeable with later ones with disc tabs? As I mentioned above, it should be silver anyway, not sure why its black and there are no cable stops for the rear mech :?

Used to own a U'hu from the same year. The cable routing was under the BB and along the chain stay rather than down the seat stay. I know my old U'hu had a URT pivot location so the rear end is different, but perhaps the seat stays are interchangeable. It may be that your seat stay bit is actually off one of the URT faux-4 bar bikes, perhaps as a warranty replacement?

I know on my U'hu the frame cracked on the seat stays near the rear pivots and I got a black seat stay unit as a replacement under warranty - perhaps that's what happened here too? (Unless you're the original owner so know the bike's providence - can't imagine it'd have left the factory / original dealer with zip-ties)

You could well be right! Never thought of a warranty replacement, funny they didn't think to have any cable stops though, on the seatstay or chainstay :? I'm pretty sure the whole rear section has been replaced at som point because it should all be silver.

I got the bike as a frame only, so the zipties were done by me, seem to work quite well and it stops crud/water going down that last section of cable that always seems to clog up on normal bikes.

You could be right - I live in a dry dusty bowl (did you happen to see any of the 2009 world champs - that's the town I live in) and my cables always get clogged up. From the photos it looks like you see a bit of mud so full length outers are probably a blessing.

Back