Kona Cinder Cone 1996 Brought Back fom the dead

CalaisWoodBurner

Old School Hero
I trust this will not be everyones cup of tea, but please find below some pics of my complete KCC 1996 re-build. My dad go me this bad boy back in 1996 in its original gold colour 8 years ago I flogged it where it spent 5 years out in the garden after being sprayed Subaru Blue!!!!.

I purchased it back and gave it a complete stove enamel job by Chris Marshall and new decals from Gil_M. The bike is Finished with alex rims, Marzochi 100mm suspension, full deore spec throughout, and the occasional bit of hope bling. The weight is coming in about 27lb.

The idea was to re-build what was a mid spec classic that rides like a modern hardtail using an absolute wonderfull steel frame - built for thrashing.

Hope you like it.

Kev

Attachments

• 1CC.jpg
    1CC.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 6,806
  • 2CC.jpg
    2CC.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 6,804
  • 3CC.jpg
    3CC.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 6,804
  • 4CC.jpg
    4CC.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 6,803
Bliss, very slack angle makes it downhill and roll very well. I also went for the 100mm travel in lieu of 80mm as I am 6`3" so it help my posture

looks mint buddy,ive just built something very similar but used as a road hack for now :D

Very nice although I'd choose less travel on the forks :D

Was it already a disc frame or did you have the rear tab brazed on?

Thanks for the comments. Yes I did have it brazed on. Chris Marshall Cycles of Keighley stove enameled it, put on the decals, removed a few lugs and brazed on the disc lug all for £110.00 !!!! (£35 for the lug inc wleding)

I went for the 100mm forks a little concious that it may stick up in the air a little, however it looks very good square on and I prefer the bike to be a little slack due to my height and size. You also get a little more versatility on price with 100mm forks, plus I wanted them in white.

Like it alot :D Looks very usable.

I'm going to do something similar with my Muddy Fox frame, I was thinking Deore or SLX maybe. Think I'll go with an 80mm for for mine.

I would definately go for Deore, looked at SLX but Deore is as good and far cheaper. I got a FULL Deore hollotech groupset for Merlin Cycles for £165!!!!!, including all gearing, hydraulic brakes, shifters, mechs, even a shimano chain!

CalaisWoodBurner":1khgal3c said:
I would definately go for Deore, looked at SLX but Deore is as good and far cheaper. I got a FULL Deore hollotech groupset for Merlin Cycles for £165!!!!!, including all gearing, hydraulic brakes, shifters, mechs, even a shimano chain!

Yeah, for that price it would have to be Deore, what a bargain!

Back