Ed's Masterclass Part III - Build It Like A Pro

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
The first two installments have met with such widespread acclaim that I have felt compelled to provide some further advice - it gives me such a warm feeling to be putting something back. So....

A natural concern when first going retro is how not to make a fool of yourself by turning up with a bike that will be met with derision. Follow what follows and you'll be instantly retro credible as well as simultaneously being incredibly attractive to the opposite sex and making impressionable teenage boys swoon in awe.

"Sounds a heady brew, but Ed, what do I need to do?" I hear you cry. Fear not dear colleague, you will have the secret within minutes but first I implore you to pause to make your peace with God/Allah/Imhotep/insert deity of preference for nothing will ever be the same again. Oh, and seek the permision of a responsible adult.

Build It Like A Pro

The following are fundamentals, a Nigel Slater recipe for success if you will. And like Mr. Slater's recipes, although it can be tempting to go a bit freeform jazz, deviate from them at your peril.

Frame - here you have a free reign, as long as early 90s
Forks must be as rigid as your thinking, preferably RC30s although any segmented 5 piece fork including segmented will do
preference
Quiet quality – so XT, no Ringle, Pauls, Kooka, M900 etc.
Decent saddle – bar drop
Stem - flat or only slightly rising long (135+, preferably 150+), should be Syncros although Control Tech also acceptable
Cranks - big and middle ring (latter only for show), preferably Middleburns
Flat bars - choose your own brand
Bar ends are usually fitted, must be stubbie
Saddle - only a Flite will do
Inline post preferably Syncros
Shims - use them when you can, they are your friends. My favourite are from Red Bull cans.
Thumbies - unless ss there is NO alternative. Feel free to run in friction mode.
Cantis must be fitted if there is a rear canti stop - V's on a frame with a canti stop is a cardinal error. They do not have to be set up to actually stop you.
Amberwall tyres - forget this and why bother? Usually narrow, typically at at least 60psi, higher if ground is firm.
British components within reason. Insert country of origin instead, if you really must.
Minimal or very subtle ano – silver and black rule
Mavic rims - no elaboration required.
SPDs - can be modern to demonstrate that you are open to new ideas.

To show that this isn't an easy process and even I had moments of uncertainty, I've attached two photos of the same bike (admittedly with a respray in between) for illustration. No prizes for spotting the differences/improvements.

I hope that is clear now but if you are unsure post here with queries.

Dropping advice like the sax solo in 'The Man With The Red Face'.

Ed

Attachments

• Yo BoTM2.JPG
    Yo BoTM2.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 2,513
  • Yo RC30.JPG
    Yo RC30.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 2,513
Wise word indeed Mr Miaggi.

Assume there's a third pic showing the Fat sans M900 and M950?

Admit it - you only included Spuds because they cause all new converts a lot of pain and discomfort, the sort of pain and discomfort that was the norm, back in the day...

'But they all look the same...!' cried the babby...

Mr K

PS. I suspected that Universal Studios accountants pushed for the sequel, maybe the liquidators are driving this latest installment... ;-)

Mmmm........ quick check down that list of requirements probably nets me 8/10 - only discernable effect on the opposite sex is increased nagging about boxes of bike parts - and not a swooning teenager in sight. Where have I gone wrong I wonder?

Thats fantastic Ed, all the question answered that I dared not ask the forum in fear of derision. If a sub sect of amazing retro bike builders was ever formed, i'm certain you'd be one of the first to be invited along.

But Ed, I also find it difficult to express my builds on these forum through the medium of the photograph. Ed may I say, you capture each build in mind blowing detail with breath taking back drops and fauna that compliment you building skills so well. Thus, will it be possible for part 4 to be an installment about photography?

PS, are you using Vaseline on the lense? I heard some photographers use this technique?

Sage advice there Ed, but what tools should we be using?
MarkyMarkSinnett177 told me that you use nothing but your bare hands and your teeth when building up your bikes, and that you have been known to shear the front end off a crud catcher just by looking at it intensely.
Is this true?

Back