AMP Research F1 vs. F2

meyekel

Dirt Disciple
Hi all, First post and of course a question sorry. Is there any real difference between the AMP F1 and F2 besides the aluminum legs? Travel? Lighter? Mechanical changes? I know that the F2 has the disc brake bosses but is that about it? Thanks and I am working on getting my early Mongoose AMP up and running. :D

All this AMP talk in other threads kind of has my synapses firing again on the AMP stuff. I'm not an AMP guru by any stretch, but I've had 2 F1 forks and friends have had the lot. I dont' think there are any real differences in function anyway. Seems that there were some slight variations between the two with regards to the spring seat and the bottom out elastomer placement. Of course the F2 is lighhter because of the aluminum legs

I think the F2 was also the beginning of available twin dampers, although my first F1 (which was actually an overstock item, branded as a 'Concept' fork for Univega) came back from AMP with twin dampers installed as an upgrade, gratis from AMP I might add. They were, and I guess still are, a great company to deal with. Lots of support.

Again, I'm not an AMP guru, but at least maybe I'll start the conversation and give you a friendly bump in the process... :D

Early F2's didn't have disc mounts. The only F1/F2 difference was aluminium instead of steel. Double dampers came later too, I think with an increase in travel from 2" to 3".
Naturally the F2's were slightly lighter than the steel F1's.
I wish I still had mine.... :cry:

F1 were I believe the legs are one piece steel. As seen here:

AmpFork.JPG

IMG_3866.jpg

F2 were aluminum multi piece construction. the top connecting piece, fork legs, drop outs, and brake posts all pieced together. From the 3 forks I have, early F2s had the leg connecting bridge clamped to the legs, a later version has them pressure fitted/bonded. on all three the dropouts where pressure fitted/bonded, with rivets on the side with the disc tabs. top pics no bolt under the lower pivot point, lower picture a bolt is under the lower pivot point.

IMG_0145.JPG

img_0730_150.jpg

They are basically the same and from memory the aluminium legs only save 50g or so!

There are also 2 different styles of shock mount between them both. The spring is located in a different place.

The Mongoose branded bikes were given the lower end one piece fork made from steel 99% of the time. These were almost always Black with Mongoose decals running down the fork leg.

I've just dug out my old F2's but the reason they were retired many years ago was because the spring snapped. Any thoughts on where I'd be able to get a new one guys?

Cheers

Shanelad":vbtgr5qd said:
I've just dug out my old F2's but the reason they were retired many years ago was because the spring snapped. Any thoughts on where I'd be able to get a new one guys?

Cheers

amp still supports them so theyd probably be able to hook you up

pop em an email

Email me, and I can provide pdf file of the spring specs, which can be easily made in any country.

I have this, I think it´s a F1.
Or not?

Attachments

• Foto1291.jpg
    Foto1291.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 3,521
  • Foto1292.jpg
    Foto1292.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 3,519
  • Foto1293.jpg
    Foto1293.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 3,519