Pinarello Gavia *better pics added ;-)*

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Here is the latest addition to the fleet on the road side, what I believe to be an early 90s Pinarello Gavia made from Columbus TSX tubing (if anyone can confirm date and model that’d be great ;-) ). TSX is like SLX but ‘one louder’, from memory the difference is the splined internal butting stretches the entire length of the tube thus making for a 20g per frame saving.

main.php

Pinarello Gavia

The bike was bought from Dapanico in Italy (arrived in super quick time, thanks!) It was sold to me as a slightly tired looking Treviso as can be seen in the pics. Took a bit of a punt on it but I think it’s paid off.

main.php

As sold with incorrect decals

This is very much an initial build with what I had around in order to put a few miles on the frame before deciding on its ultimate future. As can be seen the paint isn’t in too bad a shape, sadly the decals have peeled from under the lacquer which might be hard to effectively remedy without a spray. Also the fork chrome is quite patchy in places.

main.php

Fork and headset detail

main.php

Pinarello Treviso

Groupset wise I have committed the ultimate sin – newer shimano 7700 series dura ace with STIs on an older Italian frame. I feel a bit dirty having done this but judge me as you will ;-) That said it all works spot on and I’ve not got the resources to be tracking down a full C-Record/Record gruppo just now.

The remaining components feature hope hubs onto cxp33, pro race 2 tyres, grammo stem and eubios bars. Have a nice looking panto’d 1R stem which would look good but is missing parts.

main.php

Grammo stem and ergonomic eubios bars

main.php

Distinctive Gavia seatstay cluster

Not had chance to properly ride it yet, will report back when I’ve done a few miles. After which point I'll stick some bar tape on.

Re: Pinarello Gavia

John":3qn9xbdw said:
This is very much an initial build with what I had around in order to put a few miles on the frame before deciding on its ultimate future.

A really tidy looking frame and forks but why not have just stuck with the Dura Ace 8 speed it came with?

John":3qn9xbdw said:
Groupset wise I have committed the ultimate sin – newer shimano 7700 series dura ace with STIs on an older Italian frame. I feel a bit dirty having done this but judge me as you will ;-) That said it all works spot on and I’ve not got the resources to be tracking down a full C-Record/Record gruppo just now.

Ultimate sin indeed, grubby boy :twisted: - consider yourself judged and found wanting!

ededwards":1l8ttlh3 said:
John":1l8ttlh3 said:
This is very much an initial build with what I had around in order to put a few miles on the frame before deciding on its ultimate future.

A really tidy looking frame and forks but why not have just stuck with the Dura Ace 8 speed it came with?

Good point, I perhaps should've. Had vaguely planned to move it on, you never know I may still do so ;)

ededwards":1l8ttlh3 said:
John":1l8ttlh3 said:

Ultimate sin indeed, grubby boy :twisted: - consider yourself judged and found wanting!

Had you asked me a few weeks back what my thoughts were on the 'Big S' on anything European I'd have said in the whole it was wrong. Recently seen a few nice builds with shimano on Italian and other Euro frames (inc your Merckx) which has changed my opinion somewhat. Sooner see a colnago (or whatever) with a clean DA gruppo rather than a mishmashed campag one....

New pics done too :p

richardf":1dfm5gia said:
Very nice John - looks very tidy :)

hope to see you out on it soon ;)

Rich. Cheers.

I very much doubt I'll be out on a Sunday on this anytime soon, I need every advantage I can :LOL:

John":mcb7vfud said:
ededwards":mcb7vfud said:
John":mcb7vfud said:

Had you asked me a few weeks back what my thoughts were on the 'Big S' on anything European I'd have said in the whole it was wrong. Recently seen a few nice builds with shimano on Italian and other Euro frames (inc your Merckx) which has changed my opinion somewhat. Sooner see a colnago (or whatever) with a clean DA gruppo rather than a mishmashed campag one....

Fair point regarding Shimano on European frames although I'd say that Dura Ace 7400 era or earlier is as far as I'd go (as a sideline, would a Suntour Superbe Pro groupset 'fit' on a European frame as I've always thought it a very classy looking groupset).

And further good point re. groupset v mishmash. However I'd view the latter as carefully selecting the parts from whatever source to be most effective - down with groupset tyranny and the facism of compatability I say. An alternative view would be that I'm too mean/impatient to source complete groupsets.

Shoddy attempt at banter aside, the new photos do highlight a really handsome frame that, regardless of components, needs to be ridden and enjoyed. Top score I'd say.

Interesting

They do grab my attention recently, but honestly I do not know very much of Pinarello, except for they raced with many champions to victory. How does it ride? Should I be looking for one and if so, why?

ededwards":3nrywg5s said:
Fair point regarding Shimano on European frames although I'd say that Dura Ace 7400 era or earlier is as far as I'd go (as a sideline, would a Suntour Superbe Pro groupset 'fit' on a European frame as I've always thought it a very classy looking groupset).

And further good point re. groupset v mishmash. However I'd view the latter as carefully selecting the parts from whatever source to be most effective - down with groupset tyranny and the facism of compatability I say. An alternative view would be that I'm too mean/impatient to source complete groupsets.

Shoddy attempt at banter aside, the new photos do highlight a really handsome frame that, regardless of components, needs to be ridden and enjoyed. Top score I'd say.

I can see both points of view regarding gruppos. Personally on a road bike I like it to match - neater that way. Obvious exception is nuovo/super record.

Thanks for props on the frame :cool:

Elev12k":3b4fcnbt said:
Interesting

They do grab my attention recently, but honestly I do not know very much of Pinarello, except for they raced with many champions to victory. How does it ride? Should I be looking for one and if so, why?

The pedigree is there for sure, the frame is nicely put together with some great details you'd expect from a top end Italian road frame.

Initial impressions are good. It rides much like the merckx which is a good thing - angles and tube sets are similar. Will put some miles on it and report back properly :cool:

Should you get one? Probably.

Back