LTS-DS Views on Rebuild and Some Ideas ????

Gadro

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Recently bought LGF's LTS off him for a bit of a summer project, bike arrived today and I decided to rather just 'tinker' with it I'm giving it a complete makeover. This isn't going to be a show bike, and it won't be 100% period correct, but just one that's nice and shiny again. This bike will be ridden, not to harshly as I've got others for that, and aint going to be a garage queen, trust me. Here's what it looked like

LGFLTS-DS.jpg

Work done so far

Stripped the bike, stripped the paint (Sorry LGF :oops:) Really unnerving hitting those bearings out but a Spark Plug socket fits perfect

Stripping.jpg

LTSBare.jpg

LTSBare2.jpg

Off to the Powder Coaters on Monday, good old boring Gloss White, quite lucky as there's one only a few miles away. Already spoke to them on the phone and they've quoted me £30. Thats cheap compared to the price of a couple of rattle cans and clear coat and the hassle and stress of paint runs!!

I had a look on Bikepedia for the stock components that these bikes came with. Was toying with the idea of getting it back to a shop fresh look but have since gathered a few parts for the re-build which include

NOS Rockshock Coupe Deluxe. The bike has got a Fox Vanilla adapted to fit and which is probably a 100 times better than the Rockshox BUT it just doesn't look right. Would prefer a Super Deluxe but they are like Rocking Horse Poo!

NOS LTS1 Decals Red (The GT Logo's on the bike WERE a work of art but were too customised for my taste - sorry again LGF). I know it's not an LTS1 but they were the only RED coloured ones I could source.

Shimano XT Gearing, comprising of
NOS Shimano LX Front Mech
Shimano XT Rear Derailleur
NOS Shimano XT STI's 9 Speed

The bike came with a Raceface Ride Crankset and I'm going to keep it as I think it looks good and suits the bike. It's in really good condition.

Few other bits and a tube of Autosol waiting for the rear end

Why am I posting on here first instead of readers bikes? Well I'm umming about a few things

XT V Brakes or Avid Arch Rivals?

MarzocchiI Z1's in place of Judy XL's? Nice bright Red Colour perhaps? Will definitely be giving the XL's a RED paint job if they stay. Already got new 'Cartridge System' decals but I don't know what to do.

What Stem? The Azonic Shorty it came with is OK but without the triple clamp forks I'm thinking it will look a little heavy. Ideas, views?

As the predominant colour of the bike is going to be White with Red Decals and a Red Coil on the rear shock, I'm thinking a few red accents may be OTT. Now the Crankset has already got red chainring bolts. Hope Seat clamp and Head Doctor and a Red SRP Bolt for the Rear Derailleur perhaps? Or as the Forks and decals will be red do you think this is too much and just stick to Silver? (or Gold ????? :D :D )

Can anyone confirm what year this bike is. The serial number is S8GA1423 which I think makes it Taiwanese made at the Sanfa Factory :D

Once it's back from the powder coaters I'll post a thread in Readers Bikes showing the build. Here's a few pics of what's been done, thus far (first pic is LGF's, hope you don't mind) I'm also going to be selling a few parts to help fund the build.

Hmmm well if you wanna flog the rear shock send me a PM...

White was an original colour, with white bombers IIRC. It will look good with bombers (biased...) you spec. And 30 sobs for a paintjob, bargain!!!!

I'll go second dibs on the rear shock ;)

I can highly recommend the Z1's idealy the long travel version, i have these on my LTS DH nad they match the rear perfectly :cool: , another bonus is they are dead easy to strip and service, CRC have the bits in stock including bushes.

Definitely Z1s. I had an LTS-DS with a set of the green 5" Z1 BAM forks. Worked well together until it snapped the chainstays, haha.

Bit of an update for you.

Front Triangle back from Powder Coaters in nice Washing Machine White :) with clear coat on top of the decals.

FrameRefurb1.jpg

FrameRefurb2.jpg

FrameRefurb3.jpg

It's bright !! not to sure if I like it yet, but only cost me £30 so can't grumble

Just refitted the Bottom Bracket, absolute b*tch to get out in the first place had to use some Plumbers Freeze in the end and an 18" Breaker Bar and a lot of sweat and swearing :twisted:

Fitted a NOS Rockshox Coupe Deluxe on the rear together with some new Trunion Chips sourced from BETD as one of the old ones was split. Is it me or are the little hex key bolts keeping the trunion on absolute crap. One rounded on me and I had too use my Dremel to cut the head off.

RockShoxCoupeDeluxe.jpg

RockShoxCoupeDeluxe2.jpg

I'm desperately seeking a set of Red Coloured Marzocchi Bombers to go with this frame. Posted twice on the 'Wanted Forum' but no joy as of yet. Also I'm trawling eBay, can see a set of Z1's on there but they're in that burnt orange colour so I'm saying no.

I'm thinking that red is definitely the colour to go for, but anyone else got some views.

Here's a pic of the front and rear together to give some idea.

FrameRefurbFrontRear.jpg

On the money fellah :D I'd get polishing that back end

Call me MR Autosol, I'll have forearms like Garth before I'm ended. ;)

MODS please don't move this to Readers Bikes yet as I'm looking for them Z1's or any Bombers in RED !!!!!

Yep I have thought about them but didn't want to spoil the look of the bike with the hoses.

I've already tried a set of Hope Hose guides on the Top Tube but it just doesn't look right. So I'm going to stick with V's. I'm not planning on doing serious DH with this frame anyhow so stopping power is not going to be that much of an issue (I hope :) )

Was thinking Avid Arch Rivals but may just stick to XT

Back