Marzocchi Bomber Z-2 Help please

the great roberto

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Just taken the above forks off my Zaskar project.

Inside it looks like a spring and elastomer per leg.Should there be any oil in there?

Any help/advice on how to strip and rebuild would be appreciated.

Thanks

From memory so im not 100% sure
1.remove the crown[two screws either side and a retainer ring on top]
2.remove the preload/rebound adjusters[little grub screw on the side]
3.remove the little circlips on top of the caps[dont lose these]
4.grip the slider in one hand and undo the top cap on the non rebound side with a 26mm spanner
5.pull out the spring + put it on an old cloth
6.turn the fork upside down and drain the oil into a suitable jug
7.repeat steps 4,5+6 on the other leg[while its upside down ,pump the rebound rod in and out to clear all of the oil from the rebound cartridge]
8.dont undo the nuts underneath the fork tubes .If you only want to replace the oil ,leave them in place.
9.replace the oil[sorry this is the bit im unsure of i cant remember the exact grade they recommend]
10.pour in the oil into each leg[slowly]till the level is about 40mm from the top of the stanchion[extend the stanchion fully]
11.pump the rebound rod up and down so that it fills with oil and theres no air left
12.top up to the 40mm from the top level [after pumping the rebound you will need a little more oil in that leg than the non rebound leg]
13.reassemble and dont forget those circlips

If im wrong in any of these steps feel free to amend it :?

Nice description. Anybody care to add one for the seal change. I like the common sense language. I have the service manual but need tips hints sensible explanations. Z2

I have the seals and 7.5 grade oil.

Just need the idiots guide.

The History Man":1an39y21 said:
Nice description. Anybody care to add one for the seal change. I like the common sense language. I have the service manual but need tips hints sensible explanations. Z2

I have the seals and 7.5 grade oil.

Just need the idiots guide.

:? Ive had a look but i cant find the idiots guide to reviving old threads.
Taking a guess though that youve done it correctly first time :LOL: ;)

The History Man":1yff48k8 said:
How hard can it be?

Not hard, I had a set of z3's apart yesterday and refreshed the oil in less than an hour (and I've never serviced Z3's before), the seals are just a case of levering out (while protecting the leg) and pressing in a new set. I used Castrol 5w fully synthetic fork oil but I think I should go a bit heavier as my wife is quite light (ATF is reckoned to be good in bombers).

Carl.

Ive a full thread on seal change also :)

Sorry, i thought you were haranguing the op :) I though it a bit late in the day for that :oops:

Back