Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:21 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: On One Parkwood
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:38 pm 
Retro Guru

I don't think they are tubeless ready rims, so it may be that the lip on the I side of the rim isn't sufficient enough to form a good enough seal as a tubeless tyre.

I know a lot of people manage to run the ghetto set up but I think it may be very tyre and rim combo dependant.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:42 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

I'm going to upgrade to something like some tubeless superstars in due course I think. That might help.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:44 pm 
Retro Guru

That'll be better but they still use sticky tape and a rim strip to seal. Having had both, UST is the way.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:50 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Quote:
Neil were both wheels tubeless?

Yes, that was the point I was making. :mrgreen:

The main thing is that the Stans Crest rims are designed to be tubeless and in all four cases they worked fine.

Jon has done a lot of experiments using all sorts of tyre and rim combinations and it seems to me that unless the rim and tyre are designed to be tubeless, then you have a real hit or miss situation on your hands, and even if you get the tyres to seat, they are just as likely to be flat in the morning as they are to be happily holding air.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:55 pm 

Time to open the wallet then!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:56 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Mindmap3 wrote:
That'll be better but they still use sticky tape and a rim strip to seal. Having had both, UST is the way.

I'm sorry to be rude, but that is not right.

I have already said that I have had no problems and I didn't have to use a rim strip... whatever that it.

Yes, I have applied sticky tape instead of a conventional rim tape, but it only takes a few minutes to apply, so it's not exactly the end of the world.

If you like UST, then you stick with it, but just because you have had trouble with the other tubeless system doesn't mean we all have.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:27 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

I had a few months of trouble free riding tubeless with racing ralphs until one day in the car boot they blew off the rims and after that were too slack to fit. With my Bonty Mudx with tubes I still struggled to seat the front tyre perfectly even with a tube....so perhaps its more about the tyre?

Doug

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:32 pm 

Reckon so Doug. I can pull them on by hand nearly.

Anyway, will report back if I have any luck else tubes are going back on. More time riding less garage this year for me was the plan!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:40 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

coomber wrote:
Reckon so Doug. I can pull them on by hand nearly.

Anyway, will report back if I have any luck else tubes are going back on. More time riding less garage this year for me was the plan!

Thats what got me back onto tubes...too much time not riding...yes heavier but hey I was still moving!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:39 am 
Retro Guru

NeilM wrote:
Mindmap3 wrote:

I'm sorry to be rude, but that is not right.

I have already said that I have had no problems and I didn't have to use a rim strip... whatever that it.

Yes, I have applied sticky tape instead of a conventional rim tape, but it only takes a few minutes to apply, so it's not exactly the end of the world.

If you like UST, then you stick with it, but just because you have had trouble with the other tubeless system doesn't mean we all have.

Don't mean to sound like a tool, but just because yours has been ok, doesn't that it has for everyone else! :wink:

You can't just dismiss what I'm saying as not right. It's not just me that has had issues with the Stans style system. My mate has issues with his Stans set up. You only need to look at the number of threads on STW about tubeless issues.

I still can't help thinking that the Stans system is basically a posh bodge. UST is a better system in my eyes because the only place that the rim can leak is from the valve.

My Race Face wheels are holding air fine now, but it was a PITA to get sorted. My UST rims need nothing more than a track pump.

We may disagree about how good the Stans type system, but at least there's two experiences posted...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next