Suntour Cassette Problem..Help/Advice Needed...

Sithlord

Old School Grand Master
Just got my Suntour 7 speed cassette today, to go onto a 7 spd ? XC Pro Hub.. I have a problem in that , the cassette, or .. individual sprockets.. fit onto the freehub body the wrong way round ?

The Sprockets have a 'ramp/chamfer' on one side, which I assume fits facing out, and on the other side just flat.. which should , as far as I know fit facing inward..

The sprockets slide onto the cassette body fine 'the wrong way' round but will not slide onto the cassette body the other way ? ? also it seems that when the sprockets are assembled onto the freehub body (wrong way round) that only 6 out of the 7 sprockets will fit onto the freehub body.. is it possible that the freehub body is a 6 speed not a 7 or is it that the sprockets are the wrong thickness ? or is the XC Pro Freehub body dedicated to a XC Pro Cassette.. ?

I dont have another one to try against so can anyone shed any light ?

Knew I should have stuck with the BIG S.....

:roll: :roll: :? :? :? :? :D

It's possible that you have a XC Pro MD hub as the freehub is smaller than the standard, I have both at home, the MD uses the 6th and 7th sprocket to screw in and the normal uses just the 7th.

If you have the hub part no I think you can check on First Flight bikes.

Cass

In this pic the two hubs at the bottom are Suntour XC pro, the one on the left is the normal and the one on the right is MD, you can see the difference in the size of the freewheel, the silver cassette is a 7 speed MD cassette and the black one is a standard 7 speed cassette. Hope ths helps a bit.

Attachments

• all_bits_195.jpg
    all_bits_195.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 787
Ah! I think I have the MD one then,,, anyone want a swop for a normal.. :LOL: or going to sell me one to fit ?

thanks for your help fellas. thought I was going nuts.. once again retrobikeguys bring there wealth of knowledge togeather.. cheers...

Looks like its going to be another few nights searching again for another cassette... doh!!

Si

I have difficulty with had removed much the spocket of my cassette Xc pro. If you have the same one as that in photograph (uniglide) the 2 first are screwed but with time it are almost welded ...... I put much time and force to remove them.

For sale 39 £(shipping inlcuded)

Back