1992 Grove X-frame FINISHED 28/05 p. 2

mfh126

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
No real story behind this project. I wanted to add to my Grove collection and recently found this frameset. It's a one-owner bike that was lightly used -- the paint is in great condition. The previous owner bought it from the Bicycle Shop in State College, PA (home of Grove Innovations) and only used it on canal paths. I'm going with a standard XT build.

Spec list so far:

Specialized BX23 rims on XT hubs, Smoke/Dart tires, XT canti and U-brakes, XT seatpost and headset, Turbo saddle, Hothead bar/stem combo.

IMAG0514.jpg

IMAG0513.jpg

The front derailleur mounts directly to the seat tube via a backing plate inside the tube. A special rod attaches to the plate to hold it in place when bolting on the derailleur. Some nice engineering:

IMAG0508.jpg

One day I'll find myself a grove, i just love them. Looks like you found a beauty, loving the matching forks and hothead bars, do you have some hot rodz? I've been trying to resist buying some of Rody's reissues......

Wow great looking frameset should be fantastic with the kit you have chosen. Look forward to seeing the end product.

Hi mate,

nice to see that You got Your X

Was it the one from ebay? If yes - looks much better than in the add-fotos

I thought its a spoke - not a special rod ;) - but You´re right - its NO spoke - tried with a spoke and had to see, that its too short :)

Do You know the thread id of the "special rod" - need to make a diy rod

Started yesterday with mine and perhaps I will get the hotrods which were genuine with this one (same candy-red)

Complete XT 735 with pink King hubs on 231 CD (the red kings in the pic are from the TiLite

98803926.jpg

Looks awesome Mike. You find the best bikes. When you find XL versions, send them to me. ;)

benbonty":1qtwl6c5 said:
One day I'll find myself a grove, i just love them. Looks like you found a beauty, loving the matching forks and hothead bars, do you have some hot rodz? I've been trying to resist buying some of Rody's reissues......
Thanks. Unfortunately no Hot Rods. :( I'll be using XT M730 cranks.

bratfass":3tpzkpk3 said:
Hi mate,

nice to see that You got Your X

Was it the one from ebay? If yes - looks much better than in the add-fotos

I thought its a spoke - not a special rod ;) - but You´re right - its NO spoke - tried with a spoke and had to see, that its too short :)

Do You know the thread id of the "special rod" - need to make a diy rod

Started yesterday with mine and perhaps I will get the hotrods which were genuine with this one (same candy-red)

Complete XT 735 with pink King hubs on 231 CD (the red kings in the pic are from the TiLite
]
Hi Michael,

I'm not sure of the thread id for the rod. The previous owner said it is actually a spoke. Were you able to thread a spoke onto it, or can't you reach far enough into the seat tube to check?

Yours is coming along nicely. :)

ez054098":3esfcn8j said:
Looks awesome Mike. You find the best bikes. When you find XL versions, send them to me. ;)
Thanks Michael! I think you're out of luck - most of the bikes I find aren't available in an XL version. :( But you already have a great collection anyway!

mfh126":3gv2v0t9 said:
ez054098":3gv2v0t9 said:
Thanks Michael! I think you're out of luck - most of the bikes I find aren't available in an XL version. :( But you already have a great collection anyway!

I am still looking for my 3 other unicorns. I should have bought your Ultimate. I knew I would regret that decision.

Latest posts

Back