Mavic experts - help please!

foz

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Can anyone tell me the difference between Mavic mach 2 CD and the mach 2 CD 2 rims?
I assume the 2CD2 is a second version of the 2CD, but what are the differences? Was there anything wrong with the first version - did they crack, fall apart, or have any major problems?
I've been googling, but can't find anything useful!

Thanks, Andy

well after googling for an hour I found something, right here on RB :oops: :D

a scan from the 1988 mavic catalogue showing the mach 2 CD rim: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=178902 it says single eyelet, and I'm pretty certain my mach 2 CD 2 rims are double eyelet (can't check right now, they have tubs on), so maybe the difference is only in the eyelets? anyone know if the single eyelets weren't enough and allowed the spokes to pull through, hence the revision to double eyelets?

Andy

Sorry it's taken so long, I've had to find the brochures! I have scanned all the rims in my Mavic brochure collection which are early/mid 90's. I don't think I have any from the 80's. The 'basic' Mach CD doesn't appear, only the Mach 2 CD 2 which is definitely double eyelet as shown. Mach 2 must have been withdrawn around '89/'90?

Plenty more pages available!

Attachments

• Mavic Rims Tubular.2.A.jpg
    Mavic Rims Tubular.2.A.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 879
Thanks for that! Since posting I bought the rims anyway, and it turns out they're mach 2 CD 2. they do have "S.S.C. 93" engraved on them though, and MAVIC in large, yellow, individual letters, which I hadn't seen before. The joints have also been welded and sanded down, but not all round the joint, only at the brake track. The other pair of rims I have doesn't have this feature either.

Thanks, Andy

The braking surfaces on the SUP rims were factory machined as in the page below. Not sure about the 'ordinary' rims.

Attachments

• Mavic Rims SUP.1.A.jpg
    Mavic Rims SUP.1.A.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 867
The braking surfaces aren't machined, only at the joint where the rims were welded. I'll take some photos, which should explain it a bit better

Andy

Back