A Bit of Cycle Racing History for £2.00!

Old Ned

Old School Grand Master
At a small jumble held within the Bygone Bykes Club Christmas 'do', one of our members was selling some old RTTC Time Trial Handbooks. When I see these I always have a look through to see if there are any that I haven't got and which might have my name in the previous season's winners list (there aren't many that do!). There weren't any but there were 2 quite old ones, 1958 and 1959, which in themselves aren't that rare.

However, as I looked at them and the handwriting on the front cover of one and the inside back cover of the other, I suddenly realised what they were. They had belonged to Barry Hoban when he was still a young amateur and riding for my old club, Calder Clarion CC, based in Wakefield. What adds to this are his notes inside of some pages where he comments on his performances in selected events. I think they are extremely interesting and a piece of cycling history.

Where they came from now is a bit of a mystery as Barry left Wakefield to try his hand on the continent in the 60's. I can only think that he left them at home with his father who passed away around 15 years ago and whose effects may have been passed on to someone else locally.

If anyone can make out the other signatures on the 1959 edition it would be appreciated.

Attachments

• InsideCover1958.A.jpg
    InsideCover1958.A.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,006
  • 1959Cover.A.jpg
    1959Cover.A.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 1,006
  • 1958Cover.A.jpg
    1958Cover.A.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 1,006
wow, interesting piece there ned. What age would he have been around that time?
it shows how cycling performance has progressed tho, compared in todays world, the times arent remarkable. Even back in my racing days, there's only the 57 which beats my PB and he was world class and I was, well, me. So to the wags who tell you its the legs that count and technology adds nowt, theres the contrary evidence.

He would have been around 19 or 20 'ish. Don't forget that the rides were not done on dual carriageway courses full of traffic. The 'O' courses in those days used the roads around Blyth, Retford etc. and 'Boro' was still on a single carriageway A1 through Boroughbridge itself. A '57' on those sort of courses was pretty good - and probably done on 82" fixed! If he'd had the benefit of modern courses and equipment he'd probably be 5-10 minutes faster. Competition record in 1959 was still 'only' 55-45.

barry hoban

Remember him riding at Fallowfield on the Tuesday night at the track league he left for the Continent the next day. Would be 1960 I think..

Shall I ask his sister (Josie) the next time I see her (or Mike; her hubby) if Barry wants them back?? ;)

They still live in Stanley, the families 'home village'

By The Way;

Paul, I take it you know that it's 'Thornes Park Cross'* this coming Sunday??
(I'll try & get a message to Nick G about it, he might ride up to watch?)

http://www.yorkshirecyclocross.org.uk/
Vets/Ladies @ 12:30
Seniors/Junior @ 13:45

I won't be there, as I''ll either be running 'The Stoop'
http://woodentops.org.uk/index.php?topi ... topic=home

Or, the 'PECO XC' in Middleton Park/Woods
http://www.pecoxc.co.uk/pages/race2.html
Not ridden a cross since (I think?) Temple Newsam in 2009, so would 'suffer like buggery' if I did enter.

I'd prefer the 'Stoop', but will probably be asked to run the 'PECO' to help get points for the Club ('Ackworth Road-Runners')

*If you go over to watch, try & tell Paul Milsom that I'm okay now, he saw me on the ground at the 'Harriers v Cyclists' (when I got that tree-branch in the eye)

My regards also to Phil Thackray, if him & Nora are there, supporting Rich & Rob

RichT":bvf4q9hq said:
Shall I ask his sister (Josie) the next time I see her (or Mike; her hubby) if Barry wants them back?? ;)

They still live in Stanley, the families 'home village'

By The Way;

b

Yes please, if you would, perhaps get Barry's contact details from her.

and

Yes I do and shall make the long arduous walk ( :D ) from home to watch.

Old Ned":1apl997k said:

Yes I do and shall make the long arduous walk ( :D ) from home to watch.

I saw Nick G this morning (called into his office before going to get changed myself) & told him about it.
It sounds as though he may come over, but obviously it's up to Maxine ('Management', as Ray Moore used to call his wife on his Radio 2 show)

If I do end up running the PECO (11:00 start, & about 35 minutes running time??), I'll try to get down to the Park for the Seniors race

But, if I do go to 'The Stoop', (5 miles on the fell should equal about 42-45 minutes - allowing for the climbs/queuing!!) there's no way I can get back from Haworth in time for it!

Paul,
I saw Josie yesterday, & remembered this to ask her about.

She reckons he won't want them after so many years, so hang onto them, as a bit of memorabilia ;)

By The Way (& digressing entirely)

Don't look for me running the Wakefield 10K on Sunday, but I might ride down & watch/take photos of my Club-mates

I can't run at the minute (in fact I haven't, competatively, since mid January) as I damaged the 'Anterior Cruciate Ligament' in a fall durig a PECO cross-country at Temple Newsam :evil:

Now I'm just waiting for a MRI scan, to confirm the fact, & see what happens next

If I do make it down to photograph, I'll be in 'Featherstone RC' kit if I ride, or an 'Ackworth Road-Runners' hoodie (if I go in car)

Latest posts

Back