Vintage Steel: Raleigh Mountain Tour "Rocky"

Captain Stupido

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Just picked up a nice early Raleigh MTB, basically the same as the one below (although mine has Suntour drivechain). Never seen one before and wondering if it's perhaps a US market model.

http://kelowna.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell ... Z291866647

It's made from Raleigh 502 cro-mo tubing (?!?). Not high end, but clearly wasn't a cheap bike either. Frame has some very nice touches and I'm looking forward to getting it looking and working nice again.

It's badged as "The Raleigh" rather than "Raleigh" as you normally find. Anyone remember these or know when it dates from? Will get some pictures posted once I've cleaned it up.

Further online research indicates that this bike is made by what was then Raleigh US (actually a division of Huffy), and that the tubing is probably rebranded Tange or similar.

Just had another look at it and a sticker indicates that the original dealer was located in Winnepeg - so this bike was obviously purchased in Canada and imported later. Hard to believe it was worth bringing over, but then in the mid 80s mountain bikes were pretty exotic in the UK.

A pretty rare beast in the UK. For £25 I'm happy :)

Back