'97 Explosif 'in the raw' - finished(?), photo's soon...

We_are_Stevo

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
As the final parts for my Kili are winging their way from Canada and I don't want to ride it until they're fitted (new chainrings and chain, knackered old jockey wheels...) I thought I'd better throw the Explosif together as I've had the majority of the parts sitting around for the best part of a year... :oops:

The frame I picked up some time ago has had a disk-mount added but I was going to build with V's initially, with the option to upgrade to disks at a later date; that was until I picked a full Grimeca disk setup for a pretty reasonable outlay...

...I also bought a second Bomber fork purely for the bolt-in steerer so I could swap the components around to end up with the fork I wanted; one disk compatible, one V's only.

As I was comtemplating the build today it dawned on me that if I built it up with the disks from the off I wouldn't get to use the diddy little Diacomp levers ( :shock: ) I had my heart set on originally so I decided to build it up with V's for now after all...

The frame was originally the gun-metal grey version with black, red and white decals - which just happens to be my favourite Kona paint scheme; it was, however, rather tatty...

After much wracking of brains I was totally undecided as to what colour to go for - I hadn't yet discovered Retrobike at this point so wasn't aware I could have obtained the original style decals from gil_m, otherwise I would have gone for the stock appearance.

As it was, not being able to make up my mind, I decided to go without any colour and have it clear-coated after blasting. When I queried the validity of this with the powder coaters over in Eastbourne he was quite happy to do that for me but also made the suggestion to add the really micro-fine Metalflake he had to the clear-coat.

When I collected the frame I was delighted with it; and after adding the Grapic Shack decals even more so...

Anyway, that's enough waffling for now, here are a couple of photo's to be going on with...

P1040304.jpg

All I have left to do for now is fit the XT V's and cables - no, tell a lie; I have a 'firm' elastomer/spring kit to fit to the USE seatpost...

P1040311.jpg

Better pix to follow but these will give you a good idea of the Mk I build :D

Yes, I'll do some detail photo's once I've fitted the brakes - close ups of the incredibly neat brazing on the rear end as well...

...left it a bit late in the day to be taking the photo's above even :oops:

nice colour - nice frame - nice bike :cool:

not sure if it's a 97 - from what I can see, routing for all 3 cables are on the toptube, so it should be a 98, as 97 Explosif's had 1 cable routing on the downtube

magas":1pwxzv2q said:
nice colour - nice frame - nice bike :cool:

not sure if it's a 97 - from what I can see, routing for all 3 cables are on the toptube, so it should be a 98, as 97 Explosif's had 1 cable routing on the downtube

Yeah, that was my impression but I got the original sales receipt with the frame and it was dated Dec. '97 :?

Dunno if '98 was the only year all three cables were top-tube mounted cos my 2K Explosif has the rear derailleur down-tube routed again... :?:

Either way it makes mounting the Crud-Catcher a darn site easier!

It does appear to be a 1998 frame. They were on sale from September/October 1997. A 1997 Explosif is made of Columbus Max OR, which has a pronounced bi-ovalised shape, whereas this has round tubes. And a Reynolds 853 sticker, which would be correct for a 1998 Explosif.

With the bar ends that is one long bike ;)
Looks good though - I like the grey, subtle but in a classy way. Nice build.

Back