A Dawes; how old what is it; Campag chainset......

rocky mountain

Devout Dirtbag
hi,
with the agreement of the police and council i rehomed this tonight;

its a Dawes, 531 tubing, campag chainset, suntour thumbies, sunrace rear mech.

any thoughts?

i am tempted to put a wire basket on the back for true venacular styling.

it was chained up for at least three months, i rang the local policeman, and the council; they said after 21 days it should be cleared; i am making a small donation to the local charity. seems like a good way to sort things out for everyone

Attachments

• 06042011189.jpg
    06042011189.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 1,502
  • WelwynBike.jpg
    WelwynBike.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 1,502
otherself":1a4ey8ff said:
Certainly 1980's. '86 I would fathom, any serial numbers on the BB belly?

will check when it gets light!
its very rusty, i am tempted to scrub it down and hammerite it.
i am sure it will ride well with some new bits etc

s

More pictures

Certainly 1980's. '86 I would fathom, any serial numbers on the BB belly?

More clues; also one of the Campag chainset.

All help appreciated.

Attachments

• 07042011190.jpg
    07042011190.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 1,420
  • 07042011191.jpg
    07042011191.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 1,420
I don't think the Xenon would be original. The style looks similar to my old Dawes Wildcat from 86/87. If yours is 531 throughout it would put it at the top of the tree. My Wildcat had 501 main frame and 531 fork blades.
My memory is nagging me that the range topper even back then was called the Edge. If the wheels look original, the Edge had QR hubs whereas the Wildcat actually had wheelnuts.

Dawes

hi,
it has both 531 fork and frame, wheels are a mismash, not sure if they are even original.

on that note, its a 130 mm rear, can i get a 135 mm rear wheel in there?
this is going to be a cheap restoration!

s

Iwasgoodonce":3w0m2lel said:
I don't think the Xenon would be original. The style looks similar to my old Dawes Wildcat from 86/87. If yours is 531 throughout it would put it at the top of the tree. My Wildcat had 501 main frame and 531 fork blades.
My memory is nagging me that the range topper even back then was called the Edge. If the wheels look original, the Edge had QR hubs whereas the Wildcat actually had wheelnuts.

Saddle

Just had a look, no date, its a Selle Royal.

Is it of any monetary value? I want to just rub it down, black hammerite it and get the thing riding; budget is non existant; just enough to get some brake blocks and pedals!

i cant wait to turn up for the sunday ride on it and pitch it against the £3 k machines.

Back