1993 KHS Montana Pro, virtually catalogue spec :D

Andy B

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
The latest addition to the mancave arrived via several cups of coffee and some inverse haggling :LOL:

1993 KHS Montana Pro 16"
Here's a shoddy pic of how this build will start

5259489844_f88c5af14c_b.jpg

Spec list
True Temper OXII tubing
Mag20 fork with Mag21 canti bridge
Zoom stem
XT M736 front mech
Alivio hubs Mach sommat-or-other rims
Chainset RHS: FSA LHS: Alivio? (MC-10)
R Mech Shimano, again possibly Alivio?
Alivio canti's
Black bars with bar ends

Popped it on the digi scales & it came to 29.15lb!

1st upgrade was removal of the bars and bar ends. An Amoeba Ti bar had been lying about waiting for a home, so on they went

5258883047_e3c1fe23f4_b.jpg

reweighed the bike @ 28.15lb, if only every bit of Ti shed that much weight :LOL:

I am aiming to go back to catalogue spec, or as near to it as possible. I prefer a suspension fork (dodgy bones) and the Alivio canti brakes look loads nicer then the OE M730's

Catalogue spec here

I have sourced what I suspect may be the correct saddle, it's a Bontrager Ti, but I can't find the model no on the saddle, it's supposed to be a VL-192T. The saddle I have is stamped For OEM Only and Velo & it weighs ~230g

I have some cranks being worked on for me that will be perfect for the bike as well as some M095 shifters/levers

I may also be about to source a seatpost too (Fingers crossed!)

Here's my wanted list for this build

To save having to scroll through the full build process here is the current spec and a few pics...

1993 KHS Montana Pro by thecycledoctor.co.uk, on Flickr

zoom130.3 by thecycledoctor.co.uk, on Flickr

Stem by thecycledoctor.co.uk, on Flickr

P1020667 by thecycledoctor.co.uk, on Flickr

P1020677 by thecycledoctor.co.uk, on Flickr

The is now 11.16kg/24.60lbs

The parts listed in red are OE parts.

1993 16" KHS Montana Pro
True Temper OXII tubing

Mag20 fork with Mag21 canti bridge (Period correct)
Stronglight headset (possibly period correct) (Also have the OE Tioga headset BNIB, undecided on whether to fit this!)
OE Zoom Competition stem
OE Zoom 130 bars
Cube sponge lock on grips
OE Kalloy Uno seatpost (date stamped 07.94)
OE Bontrager Ti saddle

X-Lite Ti seatpost bolt
OE XT M095 brake levers with shifter pods
OE XT M736 front mech
OE XT M735 SGS rear mech
OE XT M730 crank arms

Ritchey 24/34/46t chain rings (possibly period correct)
KMC X8 99 chain
OE HG70 12/28T cassette
BB UN54 bottom bracket (period correct XT BB M730 en route)
OE M734 XT cantilever brakes
Clarks white outer cabling and silver ferrules
DX hubs with Mavic 217 Sup rims with DB spokes (period correct) (OE M730/M732 XT hubs with BCX rims en route)
OE XT skewers
Charge Splashback 1.8" amberwall tyres
Schwalbe AV14 lightweight inner tubes
Xpedo M-Force XP-XMF4AC SPD pedals

Nice one AB.

Bring the forks round mine and we'll slap some paint on like I did to the 21's on my old Zaskar.
mag21s_300.jpg

Registering interest here and now!

Can i just say the components this bike started with have very very little to do with me!

The drive side of the chainset is either a specialized strongarm or an fsa of the same design. Left hand is a random.

Cheers coomber the pics don't do the paintjob justice, can't wait to get it out in the sun, it's stunning in daylight with the 'flake' lacquer

Pickle I may well take you on on that offer, your refurb looks pretty good, have you ever serviced them or is Fluffychicken a better bet for that?

Lewis1641 Interested noted ;)

I have quite a few parts coming together for this build

Just won what I think may be the correct seatpost for the bike, it's a Kalloy from '94 & as far as I can tell from the catalogue pic it's very similar if it's not the same, so saddle & post are sorted as are cranks & M095 shifters/levers

Singlespeed kit is on it's way to me too, just whilst I get all the parts to properly build it up in spring, wouldn't want to grind away too much nice retro kit

Itching to strip er down & give her a good buffing before fitting the en route parts :D

Was going to go for a cheap shot based on 'stripping her down and giving it a good buffing' but it's a family forum!

lewis1641":10gyena7 said:
Was going to go for a cheap shot based on 'stripping her down and giving it a good buffing' but it's a family forum!
:LOL: I was wondering if anyone would take the bait...

I can't wait to get some more parts for this build

I was flip flopping between pink or white outer cables, I have gone for white for now as it'll match the decals, the pink might look good though and would be a nod to the Team colours...

Oil and air is waiting if you want them to have a quick freshen up and set for you weight (sod all) and riding style (soft and genital).

Them there Canti's look like Shimano Alivio whatsits or similar, not Diacomp.
Ignore what the pads say on them.

longun":1ik52c5m said:
need any pedals ;)

will look ace again, glad its gonna get used and local :D
Cheers Longy

I have found some M550 Deore LX flat pedals in my parts bin, but may want some M737 SPD's at some point to keep it period correct

Back