1994 Bigfoot Smokestone

the_duke

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Hi guys, after getting hooked on retrobike following my Muddy Fox Pathfinder I found myself wanting a new challenge.

As it happened I came across an e-stay on ebay that I recognised as a Bigfoot Smokestone. I went for it only to miss out to JeRkY who had also spotted it.

Luckily for me he had designs on the RC30's and xt drive train. I went and picked it up and he was good enough to sell me the frame, cranks, brakes and a few other bits for not a lot.

Here is a pic to show you what a state it was in, apparently had been left in a garden for best part of 10 years!

p1010370bb.jpg

On the downside there is a nasty dent in the top tube but the frame is still straight and the ally seems ok around the extremities. I wont be pushing this bike hard though! The drive side rear dropout is possibly a bit skew, will have to see when it is built but I may need to have a new one fabricated somehow!!!

The seat post was also stuck fast and destroyed in the process of removal!

Just a couple of early pics to show you how I am getting on, I have fitted some bits I already had, XT shifter, X-lite titanium bars, blackspire CR, wheels.

I picked up the nice RC35's on eBay.

p1010380.jpg

p1010381ow.jpg

I have managed to find Graham FOOT at a shop in Gloucester and am in the process of getting some new decals made up. I am also after a nice red seatpost, preferably USE or X-lite. CR actually still have stock of 31.6 use aliens in red so may go for that next month.

Will fit XT drive train, 34.9 top pull front mech (when I find one), and maybe some bling brake levers to replace the dia comp ones.

Any comments / advice would be welcomed!

Luke

loving the look of that luke

a bloke that used to come out with us occasionally had one
his was fully rigid ,xt build iirc

always wanted one ,might still get one some day
will have to make do with alpinestars in the mean time

Liking that so far :cool: the forks are a good choice.

Thanks guys, the forks were perfect as it happened. 1 1/4 threaded with a spot on steerer and thread length! They did cost more than I wanted to spend mind, but then what doesn't in this game!!!

The "C" off the left leg is missing as are both the foil decals. I may replace these once the other expensive bits are bought.

Are you sure this is not a Ozone CO2? I had one in the late 90's before some scumbag stole it, your frame looks very similar - the rear dropouts and cable routers on the top tube are the same design as are the machined rings on the head tube. Also, they came packaged with the Pace forks and Mavic headset.

Very nice bike anyway, if you ever fancy selling I would be very tempted if its an 18"

Got to admit it could be an Ozone but am not sure at the moment.

Personally I prefer the original Bigfoot decals so am going with those.

I am in touch with Graham Foot so am hoping he can shed some light on the actual date.

As you know though the frames are identical. Think the name change came about due to a trade mark issue or something!

Nice to see it, I have not started on the forks yet... not had a moment to really give them more than a glance over.

Good luck with the build, i'll be keeping an eye on progress :)

Thanks but I have sorted the front and rear mechs today thanks to some other retro bikers!

Will post some more pics as I go.

Only a small update, more of a mock up really. I wanted to see how it is going to look with the bits I have and try to envisage the ones I want!

The spec (so far) is:

Pace RC35K forks,
Controltech stem,
Mavic 1 1/4 threaded headset,
XT mechs and shifters,
LX cranks and cantis,
Red Blackspire / FSA Chain rings,
Dia Compe Levers,
X-lite Ti bar,
LX / Mavic 217 Wheels,
IRC Notos Tyres (1.7),
Hope seat collar,
Kalloy seat post,
Fizik Gobi Ti saddle.

p1010387k.jpg

To come is:

Red USE Alien seatpost,
Red Hope wheel QR,
Red Hope Fatso hub on 217 rim (on route),
Red Hope Ti Glide rear hub on 217 rim,
A nicer 1 1/4 quill (ITM ti / Ringle / Atac),
Some bling levers of some type,
Some wider tyres maybe, not sure which type yet (or colour!),
Some grips that cover the blue x-lite caps!

p1010389t.jpg

As always guys your comments, advice are welcome and sought. :D

Back