Rock Shox Judy Service question

Manitou HT

Devout Dirtbag
Just a quick question on how to strip down the forks. Used to know years ago but long term memory not so good! So I've undone the 2 nuts at the bottom of the forks and banged them up and then unscrewed them. Do they have circlips at the top of the fork? Is there an allen key I need to undo under the elastermers? Cant get the elastermers out think no one has serviced the forks since new!
Cheers

IF you've undone both bolts and hit them so they go in then taken them off, then just pull the lower legs off.

To get at elastomers you need to undo the top caps, then they can be pulled out.

If you need to remove the damper/dummy leg then yes there is an internal circlip to undo at the bottom of the stanchions.

Thanks. must just be stuck on the lower legs and elastomers will need to prised out they are well stuck in there! Back to the drawing board!

Anyone any tips on how to get lower legs off when they are jammed on?!!

Manitou HT":vt6vk33q said:
Thanks. must just be stuck on the lower legs and elastomers will need to prised out they are well stuck in there! Back to the drawing board!

Put the bottom bolts in a few turns and hit them more. IF that doesn't work then hit them from the top of the lower leg and force them off.
Though if they're that stuck I'd say the stanchions will be corroded and bushings totally gone.
Might be lucky though and just very old dry grease in there.

FluffyChicken":253b37er said:
Manitou HT":253b37er said:

Put the bottom bolts in a few turns and hit them more. IF that doesn't work then hit them from the top of the lower leg and force them off.
Though if they're that stuck I'd say the stanchions will be corroded and bushings totally gone.
Might be lucky though and just very old dry grease in there.

Yep from my experence of dealing with knackered judys , if them puppys dont slide off easy them stantions are going to be shot to bits :cry:

Silly me! I only banged one side successfully! The other bolt doesn't want to bang in! So at least I know now why the legs not coming off. Not sure how else to get bolt banged in though!

Sorry for digging this thread, but the instruction by FluffyChicken, "bit of WD40, then sharp, hard hits from a hammer.." finally released the dummy leg, after a lot of full force blows! The reason for the stuck lower leg is actually caused by the dummy leg end. Just compare both the dummy leg and the damper cartridge leg, you will know what I meant.

After reading daj's comment, I almost gave up trying to remove the lower leg, and this is after I just ordered the Risse 75mm cartridge + spring kit. Surprisingly, the stanchion was perfect! Not even a single scratch. So don't give up just yet until the lower leg is completely removed.

With the damper, I can remove the circlip and pull on the 'shaft' and it comes away with some seals, but the body of the shaft stays inside stanchion. Best to get it from the top? Maybe a socket on an extension and tap it out? I want to refill the damper with oil too but the damper shaft doesn't have an Allen key hidden inside it. Missing or just a non adjustable one (although it seems hollow).

The only time I tried to remove a damper outer, it destroyed it. They are not very strong from the top.
Be careful and you may have more luck. Maybe radiator heat and WD sort of thing.

To see if it's hollow, put some water through it, see if or where it comes out. It should be behind the green mylar-ish/alu disc bit in the middle.

If anything comes out, then you'll need to find the bit that goes inside.

Back