Velo de Ville, pub bike fat tire project, HotRod style

mvd1974

Retro Guru
Maybe not the right place to put this topic, but I just wanted to show my latest project.

It's not done yet..., but here are some pics of what it is now..
I just picked up the wheels at my friend's home who build everything into wheels (bikeboosting.nl) and I put the tires on...and...I'm happy really with the looks :cool:
Thanks to Harry Burgundy for helping out with the rims.

The frame is a 1971 (or something..) Gazelle A-frame and it gets a powdercoat in a few weeks from now. I think it will be gray, but I'm doubting a bit... maybe matted black is also an option. Don't know yet, but ideas are welcome.

And the fenders.. they make a story on their own. The idea was simple, but it turns out to be quit some work. I made 'm of some triplex strips. Put these in the water for a day and placed 'm in a 'die' I machined out of some other wood. After a week of drying I glued two of these half rings together and now I have these fender-like things in the picture. I will have to grind 'm for a while and make them fit to the bicycle frame and even have to varnish them several times...:?

For the cranks, stem, steer, seatpost and all that I'm looking for black stuff. The saddle is gonna be a natural coloured Lepper Classic 90 and the grips are gonna be wood also.

More Photo's to come as the project is in progress. It's my go-to-the-pub-bike once it's finished.

..and in winter time, I'm thinking about putting some real MTB tires on to drag it through the snow to get my glass filled up with some foamy liquid....again... :oops:

I wonder what you think of it... and perhaps some nice ideas... all comments are welcome !!

Attachments

• Img_4626.jpg
    Img_4626.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 4,871
  • frame + vork + wielen.jpg
    frame + vork + wielen.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 4,871
  • spatbord.JPG
    spatbord.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 4,871
  • 'wielen'.JPG
    'wielen'.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 4,871
I think....it's going to be very pretty! And definitely pale grey for the frame not matt black!!

PS And then some sort of "silver birch" colour/varnish for the fenders, with a matt lacquer?

I only came across this thread this morning.. time to make good on a favor more than a year late?

As soon as I saw the red wheels and the pale wooden fenders (nice work btw) I thought of this maple I have at the moment with the coolest bright red spalting through it. I did one grip to give you an idea, if you like it I'll make a twin. I have a little more of this timber so if you really want a particular shape I can try to work to your drawings.

The photos aren't great but you get the idea.. 130mm long and they fit a standard bar.

EDIT: doh! I forgot to say I love the build plan so far and would like to do something in a similar vein with my old rockhopper frame wearing fat franks. Watching this one with interest.

EDIT2: oh... and +1 for grey :D

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 4,723
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 4,723
Stunning. This is going to be a great project. Love the fenders.

Those grips are equally awesome

Those grips really are beautiful.. PM'ed you about it..

..the post replies got me working again as the project was in a bit of a slow progress..

These came in a little while ago.

Attachments

• Img_4584.jpg
    Img_4584.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 4,645
  • Img_4578.jpg
    Img_4578.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 4,645
Colour is decided on RAL7030 (grey with a touch of green in it).

The bars gonna be custom made... completely flat, about 55cm wide with two bendings at 90°.. as plane and simple as possible..

Hopefully next week some pics of the frame in the final colour...and than the assembly can begin..

Yahooooo.... finally the frame got powder coated... The fenders are to the painter to get the last layer of clearcoat on 'm.

...and since the frame got back, I deceided to go a bit more HotRod look all the way....so.... some white walls on the wheels...

Here is a small photo update of my pub bike with fat tires

Attachments

• met white walls, zonder spatborden (4).JPG
    met white walls, zonder spatborden (4).JPG
    208.4 KB · Views: 4,141
  • met white walls, zonder spatborden (3).JPG
    met white walls, zonder spatborden (3).JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 4,141
  • met white walls, zonder spatborden (5).JPG
    met white walls, zonder spatborden (5).JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 4,141
  • met white walls, zonder spatborden (1).JPG