8spd Campag on newer wheels?

Retro1702

Dirt Disciple
I'm currently looking into my next project.
Basically last year I had a 653 frame resprayed and refurbished (a 1991 Cougar built by Terry Dolan) and the bike setup for the Old Skool TT series in pretty much it's original setup of 7speed.

Now this race series appears to have mainly fallen by the way side, I'm thinking I've got a lovely bike just sitting there doing nothing so, as usual in the winter my thoughts turn to bike projects. I figure the most cost effective way to do this is utilise some 8 speed parts I've got knocking about including a decent set of wheels.

However, as always with these initial plans, thoughts turn to what other trick bits will fit the style & theme of the bike so I've thought about getting a newer set of Campag wheels for the bike, such as the newer style Shamals. It might upset some of the purists on here, but my idea is to fuse modernity of wheels with the classic svelte tubed frame.

Bit of a long way round to ask a simple question but basically I need to know how easy is it to get an 8 speed cassette to fit a 9/10 Campag hub?

Thoughts? Any help much appreciated.

i think i'm right in saying that the 9/10 campag cassette design will fit the 8 speed sprockets. so you could use any modern campag compatible wheelset you want.

also if you are interested i have a pair of mavic aksiums for sale (30 miles use only, they are mint) and a pair of campag vento's from around 1998 for sale aswel, haven't done a for sale thread for them yet, just incase that floats your boat.

pm me if you are interested, although i start a nighhtshift at 6pm tonight, so might not get back to you straight away

:)

don't do it!

the 8s cogs will fit right on on a 9/10 wheel with no modification and appear to work just fine...

...however, because of the shallower spline depth and the thin individual cogs, they will badly gouge the alloy freehub body in no time. the 8s hubs had steel bodies while current use alloy, compensating for the softer material with greater spline contact area (via deeper splines and multi-cog carriers).

Another possibility is the reverse of what I've just done. I bought a Campag 9/10 speed hub with the idea of building it into a wheel in place of an 8 speed one. However when I investigated a bit more I realised I could just swap the freehub bodies. Because both hubs used standard diameter axles they were compatible.

I suspect the Shamals use oversized axles and I'm not sure if 8 speed freehubs ever existed for oversized ones. If they did you might be able to track one down and use that.

The other option is to get Campag spare part KIT-03 which is a set of spacers to convert a Veloce 9 speed cassette into an 8 speed with the correct spacing.

Mark.

Spacers.

Buy the right cassette for the hub and respace.

If you have 9/10 spd hubs, buy a 9 speed cassette with a slightly too big largest sprocket - say you want to run 12-23, buy a 12-25 and an 8-speed spacer kit. You'll also need a thin 1mm or so spacer to space out the top sprocket.

As others have posted, do not be tempted to fit 8-speed splined cogs on 9/10 speed hubs.

campag 8 speed

Dont think 8 speed cassettes are interchangable with 9 speed.
and will 10 speed cassettes fit on on 9 speed hubs ????

Re: campag 8 speed

orbeas":33i3omoy said:
Dont think 8 speed cassettes are interchangable with 9 speed.
and will 10 speed cassettes fit on on 9 speed hubs ????

Pretty sure that for both Campag and Shimano, 9sp and 10sp cassette bodies are identical. Definitely so for Campag.

David

Latest posts

Back