Single speed 29r questions

not at the mo as it's still in the design stage. Dropouts are Paragon though - have a google. Tubing will be a mix of Reynolds 853 and Columbus Life/Zona. But this is very much chosen from my weight, riding style and wishes regarding 'feel'. It may not be right for you. The guy doing it is Francois at Edelbikes.com - he is French but his english is perfect and so far he's been very good on the comms front and listening to what I am after.

Andy R, what were the dropouts you mentioned recently?

all great info, I can design the drop outs and get them laser cut from stainless
Any makes with decent geometry that have drawings on websites for download please ?

Yes, On One's 29er Scandal rides very well, see my mini review linked below. I also have a really nice steel Kona Unit SS 29er that has pretty similar geometry and sliding dropout why have been bullet proof in terms of slippage and allows me to run 2 cogs at the back.

Orange71 and I changed cogs out on the trail in under 5 minutes at the first attempt and it's even quicker now I have the sequence worked out.

Here's the Scandal/Inbred geometry:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROO29SCVD/ ... pout-frame

And here is the Unit geometry:

http://www.konaworld.co/bike.cfm?content=unit

The 2011 Unit has a slacker head angle and longer fork but I have never ridden one so can't comment.

Attached is a photo of the \Units sliding dropouts:

Another place to look is Niner's website. There SIR frame is highly regarded as is the Lynksey titanium frame.

I love 29ers ;)

Attachments

• P1020909small.jpg
    P1020909small.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 825
  • P1020906small.jpg
    P1020906small.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 825
  • IMG_0184 s.jpg
    IMG_0184 s.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 825
Rigid singlespeed 29ers are THE classic examople of "the whole is more than the sum of the parts".

I've ridden both EBB and Paragon sliders plus another Doofer and chainguide solutions. The Doofer and chainguides also work but if you are serious about SS stick to siliders or EBB. There is plenty of choice in the market for either taste.

I do prefer the simplicity of the EBB over the sliders. The latter proved a bit more tricky to align for me and my Phil Wood worked very well for me, but YMMV.

The Black cat looks the businees too as do the 2011 Salsa's with a similar solution.

Enjoy!!

AndyPA":3ou9j196 said:
orange71":3ou9j196 said:
I'm currently having one custom built for me and decided against EBB, going for Paragon sliding dropouts instead - this gave me the option of disc/non-disc and geared/non-geared (having a pair of dropouts for each option) without redundant features. I'm going for a very clean look with no excessive guides etc. Internal cable routing where poss. No bottle mounts, no rack mounts. Fillet brazed :cool:
This sounds exactly what I have in my mind,simple and clean
Any details you can show me of the cable routing and drop outs please ,I think Surly do a sliding drop out.What tubing you going for ?

pics here now:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/edelbikes/ ... 926287084/

Back